Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2010 15:00

Dell not interested in a cracked screen

I'm posting this subject as I am furious at the lack of customer relations for what I know is a major flaw on the dell screen. I dropped my streak from my pocket. It happens all the time to mobile phone users. No big deal for all other phones but guess what when I went to pick it up the screen was shattered. No mark on the case but a crack in the corner spidered right accross the screen. I then realised that the screen is proud of the casing so that the casing does not offer any protection to the screen,if it falls the screen hits first. By the way its more like an egg shell screen than a gorilla screen. 

I contacted Dell and the usual nice caring attitude but no substance. This phone is not fit for purpose. If you live in a paded cell then use the phone but should it ever fall on the ground then be prepared for the worse.

Fundamentally I find it unacceptable that a £400/$600 phone should be built with no impact resistance. 

I call on all Dell users of this phone to respond to this subject and maybe an executive from Dell might realise there is a problem and we customers can get our phones fixed, repaired for free or replaced. It is unacceptable today to sell a product that is able to be broken so easily. 

On a final note I asked for an address to send a letter of complaint. Guess what the answer was!!!

5 Posts

October 31st, 2010 18:00

Same here: my service tag is not recognised and.. I cracked the screen :-(

And then the web site is too complex.. to much oriented on problems like virus removal.. you can't find the correct service.. they should have created a web site specific for mobile products... or even for the streak..

Not to say that it is quite "normal" for a mobile to fall down from pockets.. and with my previous phones nothing never happened to the phone..

My first Dell terrible, terrible experience! Not surprised Dell is doing bad business..

73 Posts

November 1st, 2010 12:00

There is a Teardown here http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/dell-streak-teardown/ that could be of use to you.

As far as a place to buy a new screen for your streak goes, I'm sorry to say I haven't found any.

January 16th, 2011 10:00

Hi,

This probably won't be any help in fixing the broken phone but I've always taken out specific insurance for my phones, I broke the screen on my iphone last year and if (hopefully not) I break the screen on my streak then after one quick phonecall I'll have a brand new one on the way in 48 hours. For less than £5 a month it's well worth it!

Chris

5 Posts

January 16th, 2011 13:00

"On a final note I asked for an address to send a letter of complaint. Guess what the answer was!!!!"

I would imagine something along the lines of "Does your Mummy and Daddy know you're on the Internet?"  Have you ever thought of taking responsibility for your own actions?  It's a 5" screen tablet/phone, of course it will break if you drop it. Go and have a look at Sonim products if you want a phone that is designed to be impact resistant.

Dell have no liability for any damage caused by dropping a telephone or computer in Europe or the US.  They're not designed for it.  You're probably getting confused with Tennis Balls - they're designed to be impact resistant but they're not so good at telephone calls.

Of all the problems there are with Dell's customer support you manage to lambast them for just about the only thing they haven't done wrong.  FWIW I've dropped my Dell a few times and it's survived.  Finally I managed to drop it from a 3 or 4 feet at least onto a cobblestone surface and shattered the screen.  It was sent away to a Dell repair centre and I got it back in as new condition (or a similar phone with the same service tag) a couple of weeks later.  I could get an update online at any time as to the progress of the repair which cost £150.  I paid without too much of a grimace as it was my own clumsiness and stupidity which broke it.

5 Posts

January 16th, 2011 14:00

I took it in to Carphone Warehouse who said they'd have to send it back to Dell as their repair centres couldn't do it yet.  O2 said the same - it would have to go back to Dell.  I was quoted 3-4 weeks by both and £150 fixed price by both but actually got it back in two weeks.   I gave Carphone Warehouse the phone itself but got back the full boxed set minus a new battery and SD card so gained a cable and charger, etc. which was a bonus.   This was the UK by the way.

7 Posts

carphone said that to me as well, i didnt have the money at the time to do it, i read online later that someone payed for it, and it came back in the same state and they werent payed their money back either, so i refused to do it assuming i would have the same problem. but now someone has said it will work, im deffo giving it a go when i get the money next 

7 Posts

where the hell did you send it to, dell doesnt have a repair centre for this. well it didnt last time i checked anyway ???

No Events found!