Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2013 09:00

How do you get into the Latitude 10 BIOS - instructions from Dell support are wrong

From manual:

My problem with these instructions:

1. There is no blue logo, it's black

2. External USB keyboard connected to table not recognized at all

3. External USB keyboard connected to docking station recognized after Win 8 comes up

4. Virtual keyboard not available until after Windows 8 comes up

Seems like these might need to be revisited..

TIA for any suggestions

D

March 30th, 2013 02:00

Hi D Rick,

You may try the following steps to enter the system setup/BIOS :

• Power off the tablet.
  • Disconnect the tablet from docking station.
  • Press the Power button to power up the system.
  • Before the Dell Logo is displayed, immediately press and hold the Volume Down button till the System Setup screen displays.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions.

10 Posts

April 1st, 2013 20:00

Hi Sundeep,

Thanks that did indeed get me into the BIOS. However no matter what external boot device i try (bootable USB key, external DVD rom, etc.) i cannot get the unit to boot from them so i can reimage, it always defaults back to Win 8.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

I can create a new post if you want as this one is answered..

Thanks

D

April 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi D Rick,

The latitude 10 can only boot from 32 bit images of operating system and only recognizes FAT32 partitioned devices.

Please share if are you trying to take the computer back to factory settings or if you are trying to install a different version of operating system?

If you wish to take the computer back to factory conditions, a service call may be needed.

Please share if you are facing any specific problems with the product.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

10 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 08:00

Sundeep,

That is interesting, per Ubuntu they state the opposite here www.ubuntu.com/.../desktop:

"Have a new PC with the Windows 8 logo or using UEFI firmware?

Please use a 64-bit flavour of Ubuntu desktop."

I am trying to completely wipe Win8 off the device and reload it with Ubuntu 12.10.

Friend request accepted, and information sent via PM

Thnx

D

10 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 09:00

Sundeep, i just tested the i386 version of Ubuntu 12.10, and it is not recognized either. I tested both DVD's in a tower system and both work correctly so media is not the problem.

Any other suggestions?

April 5th, 2013 07:00

Hi D Rick,

Latitude 10 system is shipped with Intel® Atom™ Processor Z2760, which has an instruction set of 32 bit and is a x86 based processor.

You may refer to the following link for more information on Intel® Atom™ Processor Z2760 : http://intel.ly/RJWHtY

Dell has tested Windows 8 32-Bit & Windows 8 Pro 32-Bit operating system on Latitude 10. As we support only Windows operating systems, I have limited expertise on Ubuntu re-installation and usage. Let me know if you need any assistance related to Windows OS. I would be glad to help you.

6 Posts

April 6th, 2013 03:00

I want to use PIN+Bitlocker option, but virtual keyboard not showing prior to windows booting, because of that I am not able to enter PIN code. Please help

1 Message

May 16th, 2013 11:00

Hey Sundeep,

I'm Late to this blog but we just received a Latitude 10 and it just locked up on me.  It won't activate the wireless on startup so when you try to login it won't.  It won't even login with the local admin account.  So we want to do a factory reset to start the process all over again.  Is there a combination of buttons to push to reset.  We saw on this blog how to get to the bios screen but we can't do anything when there.

May 21st, 2013 08:00

Hi Newmantech,

As you are using a local account and have forgot the password (or are unable to login), the only way to reset the password is to take the tablet back to factory settings, i.e take it to day one when you purchased the tablet, using Dell Backup and Recovery.

Note : This step leads to complete data loss if you select the option to Erase files in Step 11

Dell Backup and Recovery can recover the Operating system or backup from the recovery partition. To recover the OS from the recovery partition, follow these steps:

1. Plug in the AC adapter.
  2. Power on the tablet.
  3. If you do not have a physical keyboard connected, you may bring the On-Screen keyboard using the Ease of access button on the left hand side bottom corner of the screen.

4. Click on Power button on right hand side bottom corner of the screen.
  5. Press the Shift Key on the on-screen keyboard or Hold the Shift key on the physical keyboard and click Restart from the options provided. 
  6. Click Troubleshoot from the options onscreen after restart.

7. Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.

8. The system restarts and comes back up, click Next on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen. 

9. The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click Next once this is done. 

10. You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next

11. You will be prompted to backup your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files

12. The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted. 

13. Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any further questions.

May 24th, 2013 13:00

Hi Newmantech,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

1 Message

July 24th, 2013 16:00

hello

I have a dell latitude 10

when I turn on I get a message on the screen

Preparing Automatic Repair

and then

Diagnosing Your PC

is all nothing more

could help me pls

July 25th, 2013 13:00

Hi andyrodo,

You may drain residual power from system :

• Power off the system
  • Disconnect the AC adapter and battery
  • Disconnect any peripheral devices (like flash drives, printer etc)
  • Press and hold Power button for 4-5 seconds to drain residual power
  • Insert the battery and connect AC adapter

If the issue persists, you may try toggling the Secure Boot state in system setup and see if it helps :

• Disconnect all external peripherals from system and Power it on
  • Before the Dell Logo is displayed, immediately press and hold the Volume Down button till the System Setup screen displays.
  • Highlight Secure Boot and change it

Please share the findings. Will take it further.

2 Posts

September 20th, 2013 03:00

Good day!

I would like to ask if what will i do rescue disk to my external drive but it was not read by the system...as i was  reading about the same problem in this forum...i already add it to the boot sequence and choose the boot.efi file but when it restarted a windows error occured. What is the ppssible solution...i would like to factory reset my dell latitude 10 st2e...thank you very much

2 Posts

October 24th, 2013 09:00

Hi D Rick-

Booting to a USB device from a pre-installed Windows 8 computer/tablet is slightly different than a computer that came with Windows XP/Vista/7. Any computer that came with Windows 8 pre-installed will utilize a UEFI configuration in the BIOS that will only allow USB devices with a UEFI partition to boot (FAT32 required). There is an easy workaround for this issue that may help you boot to your flash drive and load Ubuntu.

1. Go into your BIOS and disable Secure Boot
  2. Also, if there is a setting for UEFI in the BIOS...change that to Legacy mode. This will disable the UEFI requirement to boot.
  3. As you power up the device while holding down Volume Up key, you should be presented with a boot menu. Select your flash drive device and it should boot successfully.

Hope that helps!

1 Message

February 11th, 2015 12:00

Hello,

I am having a problem with Dell Latitude ST2 tablet. When I power up the tablet, it goes straight to the screen "Choose an Option" (point #6 given above) bypassing even the log on screen. I could not select any of the three options shown in the screen, the screen is simply locked and unresponsive. Tried powering down of the tablet, removing of the battery several times and nothing helps. Will you please help?

Thanks,

Saty

Email id removed per privacy policy>

No Events found!