Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2014 12:00

On-screen Buttons

I realize that Android systems have had a head start on Win 8 systems but still...

Why is it that on my Android phone I can easily install apps that provide:

- a Wifi on-off switch on the home screen?

- Battery display (percent remaining) on the home screen?

- Power button (shutdown) on the home screen?

yet on my Dell tablet I can't?

(or if I can please tell me how)   :)

915 Posts

July 19th, 2014 16:00

Well, I think that this gets you close to what you want for a power button, having it all available by your name at the upper right of the Start screen.  And this way, you also save space:  no need for another tile.  Personally, I would prefer it that way.

As to the Wi-Fi, I don't know and couldn't find anything in a quick search.  

And for a battery gauge tile, I believe that there are some Windows 8.1 Metro apps that do this--you might do a search in the Windows store.  (I believe a few people had posted about some apps of this type in the tabletpcreview/Dell forum.)

Of course, all is available with a quick swipe from the right . . . .   :emotion-5:

Good luck!

915 Posts

July 19th, 2014 15:00

Various posts online as to how to add power button options to the Start screen (not done by Windows natively on smaller tablets, because of the fear that users too eaily could turn their tablets off by mistake).

E.g.:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-update-1-tip-toggle-power-button

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/44237-power-button-start-screen-add-remove.html

131 Posts

July 19th, 2014 16:00

Thanks for helping out Mike!

The power button that you are linking to is not quite what I am after.

Yes, it does save a few steps, I don't have to swipe to the charms bar, then select settings, then select power, then select Sleep/Shut down etc.

What I was looking for is the same thing that Android systems/phones have; namely an on-screen button that you press and *immediately* your system goes to sleep.

Nothing else has to be pressed.

I was also inquiring about:

- a Wifi on-off switch on the home screen?

- Battery display (percent remaining) on the home screen?

Do you know if anyone has written mini-apps for Win 8.1 that allow for this?

There are tons of them for Android.

No Events found!