Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2012 19:00

Really dumb question!! Dell Streak 7 Tegra 2 1.0GHz

I don't know anything about tablets but I want one for -- reading ebooks, web surfing (at wifi hotspots), GPS navigation (without any network connections), etc.

I have been looking at this unit but I can't tell for sure if it has GPS capability so that I can download some sort of app and maps (using wifi) but then be able to tell where I am on those maps without wifi.  It says it has "Internal GPS antenna".  

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=M02M001-PB-R&cat=TAB         

Also, can this be 'easily' upgraded to latest Android OS??

Any comments as to whether it will do as I want or any comments in general about this unit would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

126 Posts

September 4th, 2012 23:00

Yes you can still use the gps functions without internet connectivity BUT it will take much longer to aquire satellite lock,  thats where the assisted comes into place by speeding up lock time considerably....also re the tablets software-- the link you gave says  Android 3.2 so thats honeycomb and is already the latest for streak 7 :)

126 Posts

September 4th, 2012 07:00

Hi Dell streak7 internal gps supports assisted gps and the one in the li link you gave also has 4 g so the assisted would work with a sim inside which is good :) i had same tablet and had several navigation apps installed for general navigation i had Sygic which is awsome ,but i mainly used for hiking ect so installed viewranger and back country navigator plus some others gps essentials ,first 2 very good apps my fave was viewranger used it quite a few times in total bad weather i didnt need to get my backup maps and compass out ,streak 7 took me there and guided me back

3 Posts

September 4th, 2012 08:00

I will not have a SIM card.  Just plan to use this as a tablet with wifi.  Will I still be able to use the GPS function when I have NO internet connectivity -- as in out on the road or the river??  Thanks....

3 Posts

September 5th, 2012 06:00

Thank you for the info!!

11 Posts

September 12th, 2012 01:00

hi jay is there any official news for streak 7 updating Android ICS ....

126 Posts

September 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi  mazzi3168 im unsure if dell will be updating streak7 to ICS as theyve discontinued selling the tablet ,but nodoubt some clever people will make a UNofficial update of ICS ,But that would void any remaining warranty,   i nolonger own a streak7 i had one too many experiences stuck on dell logo screen :( and sold it on ebay ,sure enough its easy to rectify by resetting ,but when you have heaps of stuff on the device that takes a lot of time restoring everything,,with mine the only thing i could link the stuck on dell screen being caused was when i didnt use the device for perhaps 2 or 3 weeks  ,as times i used it regulary for months i never had any  stuck on dell screen experiences at all:)

8 Posts

July 25th, 2013 19:00

Android 4.2.2 has been made available.....

No Events found!