Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 26th, 2018 19:00

Venue 11 7130 USB turns off when display turns off

With a fresh install of Windows 8.1 64 bit, the USB port loses power as soon as the display turns off, regardless of reason (Power management turns off display, close the 'lid' when on a keyboard). I've updated the BIOS, disabled sleep and USB power management, checked every setting in the BIOS, every power management setting, without luck. I turned on USB Charging in the BIOS to keep the USB port powered even when the laptop turns off, and it STILL turns off when the screen turns off, using a USB meter showing voltage. I did a fresh install of Windows and installed drivers and updates one by one until I found the culprit. It turns out that the problem disappears when I uninstall the Intel Graphics driver! I couldn't find any settings in the driver. I would bet money Dell support either doesn't have a clue, or will claim this is a feature I want (I don't), so I'm asking everyone if they've found a solution.

Thanks!

6 Posts

July 9th, 2018 21:00

After a lot of wasted time, I found that BIOS revisions A06 to A11 work fine, but all other BIOS versions shut the USB off when the screen powers down. I'm disappointed this isn't mentioned in the A12 BIOS notes, and that this 'feature' doesn't have any way to disable it.

So Dell, are you going to come out with a BIOS that doesn't shut off the USB port? Or am I stuck with A11?

March 19th, 2019 02:00

Thanks for letting us know. My last Dell laptop had a BIOS issue also. After I updated to A12, the laptop stopped charging the battery. I had to roll back to A09. You are right, they never fixed the problem.

You might find this  useful to solve your issue.

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/Monitor-Disconnects-Powers-Down-USB-Connections-on-Standby/td-p/4597125

1 Message

April 5th, 2019 05:00

I can understand the issue because I have also faced such kind of issues last time when I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 64 Bit on my Dell Inspiron Laptop powered by SSD hard disk. Finally, I am able to easily fix it with this post, thanks for the tread, shared below, please check if you have any other doubts.

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/Monitor-Disconnects-Powers-Down-USB-Connections-on-Standby/td-p/4597125

October 6th, 2019 23:00

I faced the same problem with Venue 11 7130...Display turns out, it's happening with the tablet dock also. .... When your slim keyboard is attached...  

1 Message

May 15th, 2021 01:00

I agree with your comments, I look forward to your next post

geometry dash

No Events found!