Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2013 14:00

Venue 11 Pro dock HDMI to DVI problem

I recently just got the tablet dock hooked up to the dock and an external monitor through HDMI on the dock and HDMI-to-DVI converter to the monitor.  The resolution on the display setting in Windows shows the correct resolution.  However, on the actual monitor, there's about an inch of unused screen real estate and a purple vertical line where the screen stop working.  I've tried on two different monitor with different default resolution (1680x1050 & 1920x1200) and both have the same problem.  Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?  Using the Dell's 40-pin to HDMI to DVI works fine.  So, it seems like there's something wrong with the dock itself.

14 Posts

March 17th, 2014 07:00

I just got an email back from Dell on my support case indicating this:

What they all keep telling me is those just have to be straight connections for those monitors that's all have been getting from all of the depts that I found could help with this. sorry about this.

So I guess I have to buy new monitors to have an HDMI and DP connection?

40 Posts

March 17th, 2014 07:00

I just got an email back from Dell on my support case indicating this:

What they all keep telling me is those just have to be straight connections for those monitors that's all have been getting from all of the depts that I found could help with this. sorry about this.

So I guess I have to buy new monitors to have an HDMI and DP connection?

I have 2 DP and HDMI monitors (Dell U2414H's)... and the dock doesn't work with these monitors either with direct connections.  So don't buy new monitors.

17 Posts

March 17th, 2014 08:00

Likewise, some monitors work, some don't. I have 4 docks I'm testing with, all identical. Some work with some monitors, some don't, one doesn't output anything at all. It's very strange.

March 17th, 2014 11:00

My dock will not output anything and Dell will not swap it for a new one. They said they are working on a fix. The same they told me back in December. A 4 month fix ?

HDMI to HDMI not working, DP to DP nothing. HDMI to DVI-D nothing.....

Yet try a Latitude 10 dock (The same design just different rear ports) HDMI to HDMI works, no DP on that dock and USB2 but hey it works!

1 Message

March 17th, 2014 17:00

We have 20 of the I5 units with docking stations and the keyboard docks that have the internal battery and we have purchased the stylus. We are a IT department in higher education and im very unimpressed with these units none of the docks work. Although an interesting alternative to the surface pro it really hasn't lived up to our expectations. Staff are so fed up with the issues they are handing them back in favor of older more reliable tablet HP laptops.

I think we are at the point were we will just have to send them all back for a full refund as they are not fit for purpose. They have been shipped with faults that Dell appears unwilling or unable to fix in a reasonable time frame. We are "working on it" without a firm ETA really is no guarantee you have the resources or ability to fix the problem anytime "soon".

I have noticed my tablet when in the dock does sort of work after about five minutes when connected via an ASTROTEK HDMI to DVI converter cable when used with my Samsung syncmaster display at home. We have tried all of the keyboard dock registry fixes but they continue to randomly and consistently stop working needing the tablet to be ejected and reinserted to get it to work again.

Hopefully we can work with Dell rep to find a solution maybe an exchange for more suitable units until these problems have been sorted out.

14 Posts

March 19th, 2014 06:00

We are also considering purchasing an initial 25 Venues with Docks etc and he have the same issues. We can get our test unit to HDMI-DVI to a Dell E2310HC, but noting else, not even a E2210HC, which is an identical screen, but 1" smaller! We are seriously considering The Samsung Ativ, as these just work. its a shame they dont come with Docks, but the universal docks do work.

I have 3 guys with Samsung Ativs working away as I type, our test venue is sadly sat on my desk, not working! Not good Dell! Not good!

67 Posts

Mine works too with two u2410 monitors.

DP to DP and HDMI to HDMI.

The tablet monitor works as well but I keep it off when docked.

I have another setup thats identical. Apparently we got lucky and use our tablets as our main machines. No real issues to report. 

But to be fair...people who wanted these to use as a tablet doesnt really seem to use them that way. We always have ours docked or on the mobile keyboard (w/ battery). So those who bought this just to use as a tablet should probably look elsewhere as there are better options.

3 Posts

Is my dock the only one that works?? 

I have 3 monitors (including the tablet monitor) connected to a venue 11 pro (7130). Although I did have to purchase this Active Displayport to HDMI Adapter (http://amzn.com/B00EDT0072).

Here is my setup:

First Monitor (Dell 1908FP)
- Using Active Displayport to HDMI adapter
- HDMI to DVI cable

Second Monitor (Dell P2213)
- HDMI to DVI
(Also worked with a Viewsonic VA2431wm using straight HDMI to HDMI)

Third Monitor
- Built-in tablet display

Running all the latest drivers/firmware/bios. Can undock and dock without issues.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 19th, 2014 07:00

The U2410 monitors appear to be the "golden" model and will work with any connection option. All others are hit/miss...consider yourself lucky.

67 Posts

March 19th, 2014 07:00

Yes from what I've gathered they are the golden model. And not a cheap model.

The cheaper versions are very hit and miss. Have you unplug dock change the connections around to get it to work. THen the next day all over again.

4 Posts

March 19th, 2014 09:00

Same here. I ordered a few of these for our company. Sent an email to our Dell rep this morning with a link to this thread. Not sure if that will help out or not. Lucky for me I got ours to take home and to travel with mainly. But we have docks for each unit that are useless unless you want to charge the tablet.

Thing is I don't have a Dell monitor, I have a 2560 x 1440 res ASUS pb278q. Not exactly a cheap monitor either. I think its crazy that I should have to buy a Dell monitor to get this to work. HDMI to HDMI, not working DP to DP, nothing HDMI to DVI, Nothing IN all cases signal is detected then and the Intel HD graphics mentions something about Display port is detected then no signal. The screen resolution on the tablet does funny, like a 4:3 ratio and often the intel gfx driver crashes in the process. Like this since late November. Anyone got a Non Dell monitor to work then like my Asus? I think my dock is faulty, but Dell will not replace it stating a firmware update is going to fix it. Not seen that yet.

14 Posts

PROBLEM FIXED According to my Dell Account manager....

"I believe this issue has been fixed!!

Dell has provided new firmware and all new docks being shipped have been reworked. Unfortunately the firmware upgrade to the dock is only installed in the factory"

14 Posts

I have heard that the FW is factory installed and cannot be updated via a patch, so the chances of something coming for our existing docks is slim

17 Posts

I've heard nothing from my account manager about this, I'm also guessing Brian from the Dell forums has retired or something?! Did he tell you what you're supposed to do with your existing hardware? As a lot of people on this forum have been told by Dell support that they are not allowing returns of docks and that there will be a software / firmware fix released...
No Events found!