Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2014 10:00

Venue 8 Digitizer Replacement

Does anyone have experience replacing the digitizer on the (2013) Venue 8? I've seen the disassembly video to remove the motherboard but not sure about removing the LCD from the digitizer. I'll start to disassemble the one I'm working on tomorrow but was hoping someone had some experience with that to make the replacement easier.

22 Posts

July 29th, 2014 23:00

I replaced the digitizer today. I'll assemble the rest and test tomorrow. Heating up the edges of the digitizer and carefully prying with spudgers/cards did the trick to remove the digitizer. Although it did not want to come off easy.

It appears to have been adhered using a foam type double sided tape (cut from a template). The replacement screen did not come with any adhesive/tape but did have an attached LCD seal so after cleaning the old tape off, I used strips of 3mm double sided LCD tape to secure the digitizer to the frame.

22 Posts

July 16th, 2014 09:00

I disassembled the Venue 8 and I don't see an easy way to remove the digitizer. The LCD looks as though it is placed into the frame from the front and then the digitizer is laid on top to seal the LCD into the frame. There are a few small holes in the frame where the digitizer could be broken free from the back as long as you're careful not to damage the LCD. I'll keep tinkering with it to see if I can find a better way.

22 Posts

July 19th, 2014 23:00

Still unable to find any info on the digitizer replacement but I went ahead and ordered a replacement part so we'll see what happens!

22 Posts

July 31st, 2014 09:00

Final update...

The Venue 8 is back in business. Everything works great and I think the new screen is more fingerprint resistant but didnt fully test that. 

1 Message

September 14th, 2014 23:00

Where did you by the replacement digitizer screen?

22 Posts

September 18th, 2014 18:00

I purchased it through eBay.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2014 21:00

Hi Monkikix,

I have the same issue. A drop shattered the top right corner, where the power button is. I have seen mixed feedback about the replacement screens. Can you provide the name of the seller that you purchased from? Was it labeled OEM, or just replacement? How is the replacement holding up? Also, where can I find the 3mm double sided LCD tape? 

And, to get to the digitizer, did you have to disassemble completely from the back side to reach it?  Can I remove the digitizer from the front without doing a complete teardown? I do know that the connection for it will require disassembly from the backside.

22 Posts

November 18th, 2014 18:00

The replacent was just the digitizer and did not include the LCD display. It was not OEM and was ordered off Amazon by the tablet owner. The replacement works perfectly and is more fingerprint resistant than the original digitizer. To replace it you will need to disassemble the tablet. Fortunately this is very easy. The only issue I ran into was the actual removal of the digitizer. The adhesive used does not want to let go. As far as the double sided tape, I ordered that off eBay.

4 Posts

January 4th, 2015 14:00

Hello Monkikix,

Just one quick question. I am about to change the digitizer on a Venue 8 Pro. Just like you, I only have the digitizer, without the LCD. Are they glued together?

Thanks

22 Posts

January 4th, 2015 16:00

It does have adhesive to secure to the frame. I carefully heated and tried not to damage the edge of the casing. There are a few small marks but nothing major.

22 Posts

January 6th, 2015 12:00

The LCD is not adhered to the digitizer, no. Just floats above it.

4 Posts

I meant the digitizer and LCD are glued together?

I started removing the digitizer, to find out they are. Quite the job to remove the digtizer from the LCD. Not done yet, hope I dont crack it.

4 Posts

The one I am replacing is glue to the LCD.

Its a Venue 8 Pro

So far i have 2 corners done. (25%)

3 Posts

January 7th, 2015 18:00

Hey Dogmeye,

How is the project coming? I have a Dell Venue 8 (not the pro) that also needs it's digitizer replaced. I haven't ordered the parts yet, but am going to tackle it soon. Is the glue debonding with heat very readily?

Best of luck!

4 Posts

January 8th, 2015 05:00

Hello Flightstar,

Unfortunatly, I damaged the LCD while try to remove the larger pieces. The glue on mine was thick. 

If the glass is shattered, I believe it can be done easily enough by removing piece by piece. Otherwise, I suggest getting the assembly.

Also, check if the are fused together. It is easy to know. Apply some heat, then pry up the edge (one corner for example) then slide a card. If you see your card through the glass, then it is not glued together.

Hope it help.

Good luck!

No Events found!