Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2016 21:00

dell venue 8 7840 power off issue

first of all, i purchased this tablet in january 2015.

i found out this device turns off by itself at 22% battery while using it(about a month ago) and now,  it's powering off at 37% over and over. in order to power on, i have to plug in.  if not, there is no way to run it. 

plus, one of my acquaintance's happened the same issue since used this tablet about six months ago from now on(so he did factory reset, but his is still the same now)  i guess this tablet has some technical difficulty.  

i'm living in korea and asked for a chat service on the dell official website, but they just gave me an international number. such an irresponsible! it seems not like solving this problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

This could be a battery issue.Check the following

1- battery health in BIOS

2- Update the BIOS

3- leave the tablet idle to check if the battery drains.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

10 Posts

December 26th, 2016 07:00

I have the same Issue.  

How do you do these steps on this tablet? How do you check battery health in bios?

7 Posts

December 28th, 2016 06:00

actually i gave it up. because there is no bios file for this model on the official website.

so what can i do now?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 5th, 2017 01:00

Hi Cybersud,

Sorry for the confusion. Dell Venue 7840 is an Android tablet. You will not be able to access the BIOS. To troubleshoot the device you will find an APP named ‘My Dell’. Please use the App to run diags on battery and the tablet to find concerns with the tablet.

5 Posts

January 30th, 2017 06:00

I have a similar issue, did anyone ever find a solution? Every day when I get to work and try to wake the tablet it is off. It won't power on at all, but if I plug it in then it boots fine and is always at 75% battery. Battery tests from the Dell app show no issues.

2 Posts

February 20th, 2017 16:00

I have a similar issue

February 22nd, 2017 08:00

I have a similar issue. I purchased the tablet in Nov-2015. The tablet power OFFs every time even when battery is showing 45 % remaining. I am not able to restart unless i charge it further. DELL, Please post a solution.

7 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 15:00

well.. mine die at 85% now. it's getting worse.

i'm pretty sure that this device's battery has some problem from the beginning which meaning defect!

the thing is this device doesn't allow the bios for updating and the diagnosis app keeps showing "battery is normal" which is not helpful at all. 

tell us some proper solutions or try to fix for this issue with updating at least like apple does (the iphone 6/6s power off issue) 

here is not only mine, but also others.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 23rd, 2017 12:00

Hi Haxa,

Were you able to run the diagnostics test on your tablet from the steps provided earlier.

10 Posts

February 24th, 2017 20:00

Like others above, I ran the my Dell app and it says my battery is fine.

1 Message

February 24th, 2017 20:00

I actually bought the tablet used and the seller did not tell me about this issue. Alas, the Issue happened with me from day one! Please, if there is something that we can do (Replacing the battery or something) then inform us. Right now the tablet shutdown at 39%, but looks like it will gradually increase untill it will eventually die!! Is it a Battery Defect that increase with charging the battery?!

6 Posts

February 26th, 2017 05:00

why wont Dell tell us the truth i purchased my  7840 in jan 15 by the end of 2015 i had sent it for dervice as battery was switching off at 40%  They  eventually sent me  new tablet  .  this is now powering off at 55% and getting worse  There is obviously a major fault with either battery or  tablet  Dell must by now know which one is at fault but refuse to tell us as it would cost them money . The next post (re BIOS0 is typical they do not even know what there tablets do

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 28th, 2017 12:00

Hi Pankaj,

I would suggest you to run the diagnostics on the tablet by following the steps provided earlier.

Also, you can backup the files and reset the android tablet to check if there is any app which is using up the battery.

February 28th, 2017 23:00

Try the following and see if this resolves the problem. This is not a master reset so your information will not be deleted.

1. If your device is on, turn it off.

2. Press & hold the Volume down button. While holding Volume down, press & hold the Power button until the device turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it .

3. Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Recovery mode."

4. Press the Power button to start recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.

5. Press & hold the Power button. While holding Power, press the Volume up button once. Then release Power.

6. Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Wipe cache partition," and then press the Power button to select it.

7. Press the Volume down button until you highlight “Yes,” and then press the Power button to select it.

8. Wait until the cache is wiped. You’ll see the words, “Cache wipe complete.”

9. Press the Power button to restart your device.

Check rest of all other options in Dell Venue 8 7840 Manual. Hope this would resolve your issue. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 1st, 2017 13:00

Hi Cybersud,

We will need to check on this.Please private message me the tablet service tag along with registered owner's information and email address so that I can check and assist you. To send a private message, click on my name and send private message.

No Events found!