Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2016 18:00

Ask the Expert: Meet the EMC Unity Family

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: AMA - Ask Our ATE Program Manager Anything
Ask the Expert: VxRack with Neutrino Nodes- A turnkey, rack scale system for cloud native applications
Ask The Experts: Introducing the Native Hybrid Cloud

Welcome to this Ask the Expert conversation. The Unity Family of unified storage solutions is the latest midrange storage product line from EMC.  These systems define new standards for simplicity, flexibility and affordability, enabling organizations to take a truly modern approach to consolidating their storage infrastructure.
Now you can take advantage of the opportunity to learn about these new systems first hand, by engaging with EMC subject matter experts to answer your questions in an interactive ask the experts session.

Overview Video:
http://www.emc.com/video-collateral/demos/microsites/mediaplayer-video/modernize-simplify-with-unity.htm
EMC Unity All Flash Data Sheet: http://www.emc.com/auth/rcoll/dataandspecsheet/h14955-unity-all-flash-family-ds.pdf

EMC Unity Hybrid Storage Data Sheet: http://www.emc.com/auth/rcoll/dataandspecsheet/h14956-unity-hybrid-family-ds.pdf
EMC UnityVSA Solution Overview: http://www.emc.com/auth/rcoll/solutionoverview/h14959-unity-vsa-so.pdf

SMEs will be available to answer questions on a number of topics including: hardware and software product features; operation and best practices; availability and configuration; online documentation; available EMC product education and training; and more.

Meet Your Experts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=17158&size=350

Joe Scala 

Product Manager

Joe has more than 20 years in the high-tech industry. Responsible for developing product requirements and driving innovative roadmaps based on customer requirements and advances in technology.
profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=17159&size=350

Product Manager

Product Manager in Midrange Storage for 13 years

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=17156&size=350

Corporate Systems Engineer

RTS (Regional Tech. Support Engineer) at EMC Corporation from 2000 until 2005. LRS (Lead Regional Support) at EMC Corporation from 2005 until 2010. AFSS (Advisory Field Service Support) at EMC Corporation from 2010 until 2014. Since 12.01.2014 employed as CSE (Corporate Systems Engineer) at EMC Corporation.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=11672&size=350

Product Marketing Manager

Joe is a Product Marketing Manager with the EMC Core Technologies Division focused on VNX storage products and solutions. He has over 25 years of product and channel marketing experience in storage hardware/software, asset management, and CAD technology. Joe has been instrumental in the development and execution of go-to-market plans, product launches, and other facets of product marketing. Joe holds a BS degree in Industrial Engineering and Management (Sigma Epsilon Rho) from Northeastern University as well as a degree in Architecture from Wentworth Institute of Technology.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=17160&size=350

Anirudha Accanoor 

Senior Technical Content Developer

Anirudha is a Sr. Technical Content Developer with the Core Technologies Division of EMC. During his tenure, he has been primarily involved with technical documentation for the Mid-range systems. Anirudha has been instrumental in setting up Info Hubs for the mid-range products, and has a keen interest in community engagement to make the documentation better, which in turn will result in a better experience for the users.
profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=17157&size=350

Training Developer

EMC employee since 2000. Have been in support role for CLARiiON and Celerra. Currently in Education Services core technologies content development team. I developing training for VNX & VNXe storage products. Focus is on file storage.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=17184&size=350

Patrick Tan

Corporate Systems Engineer

2001-2010, Solution Architect in EMC Professional Service, covering Symmetrix and Celerra.  2010-2014, RecoverPoint and VPLEX Corporate System Engineer. VNX Corporate System Engineer since 2014.

lightbulb.png INTERESTED ON A PARTICULAR ATE TOPIC? SUBMIT IT TO US

This discussion will take place May 3rd - 13th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Ask the Expert: Meet the EMC Unity Family http://bit.ly/1SO1uLS #EMCATE <<

1 Rookie

• 

706 Posts

May 17th, 2016 20:00

Hi joecat,

Thank you more detail information.

Would you let me know schedule of the plan?

Customer will buy the Unity next month, so I wish to release early 2H.

Best Regards.

2 Intern

• 

718 Posts

May 18th, 2016 08:00

This Ask the Expert event has officially ended, but don't let that retract you from asking more questions. At this point our SMEs are still welcomed to answer and continue the discussion though not required. Here is where we ask our community members to chime in and assist other users if they're able to come up with accurate information. Additionally, you have the Unity Product community available for other questions: Unity.

Many thanks to our SMEs who selflessly made themselves available to answer questions. We also appreciate our community members for taking part of the discussion and ask so many interesting questions.

ATE events are made for your benefit as members of ECN. If you’re interested in pitching a topic or Subject Matter Experts we would be interested in hearing it. To learn more on what it takes to start an event please visit our Ask the Expert Program Space on ECN.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...
Ask the Expert: AMA - Ask Our ATE Program Manager Anything
Ask the Expert: VxRack with Neutrino Nodes- A turnkey, rack scale system for cloud native applications
Ask The Experts: Introducing the Native Hybrid Cloud

May 24th, 2016 16:00

Does Unity support MirrorView/A? 

8.6K Posts

May 24th, 2016 18:00

no - it has it's own native async replication for block and file instead

Please see the Unity replication technology white paper for details

Community Manager

• 

3.1K Posts

May 25th, 2016 22:00

Hello Chris,

Do you know if there are any documents for any specific setting or procedure for SANCOPY from VNX to UnityVSA migration?

Thanks,

Hiroki

19 Posts

May 27th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

Are there any plans to add similar file compression that we have on the VNX to Unitys NAS shares? Single instance storage and file based compression where you can use file age and type as a file by file basis for compression decision?

14 Posts

May 27th, 2016 11:00

I have a customer configuration using RecoverPoint CRR, and we replicate File and Block using RPAs, for a Disaster Recovery Plan, as I understand of the Unity, it works more as a VNXe, so in File protocol It's not possible to replicate using FC between sites, am I right?

Regards,

Aquino

43 Posts

May 27th, 2016 11:00

Correct. File replication through RecoverPoint is not available but Unity has native asynchronous file replication capabilities.

14 Posts

May 31st, 2016 15:00

I understand the file replication is native, the main problem is that between sites the only dark fibre connection is used for FC, they use the "lambdas" at 8 Gbps FC, because is more efficient than 1Gbps Ethernet, they don't want their MPLS connection to be used for file replication. I guess Unity is not for them.

Regards!

June 22nd, 2016 03:00

Hello All,

A few questions, sorry if some of them are already there ...

Compression is planned Q4 2016. Let's suppose we got a Unity array without this feature, and we want to implement the compression, what happens to the data already stored and how do we compress it ? Is it made at lun level ? pool level ?

Will we need to upgrade the array and reboot the controllers to activate compression ?

What about full support for the combo VPLEX-UNITY-VIPR ?

Thank you.

June 22nd, 2016 05:00

What is the realistic compression ratio expected ? (no video/noimagery/no vdi).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 17:00

Hello dear,

so file compression won't be supported and it is just block compression ?

143 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 09:00

I have been playing with the new Consistency Group feature on the Unity VSA.  It works great with Block LUNs, but I have a bunch of VMware Datastores (iSCSI Block, but created under "VMware" rather than "Block" section of the GUI).  I can't seem to add the VMware Datastores into a Consistency Group.  Does Unity not support CG's for VMware Datastores (unless created as "Generic LUNs")?

8.6K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 09:00

Enabled per LUN

Needs software NDU

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

August 4th, 2016 21:00

Hi, expert

Please teach me Unity hot spare policy.

・Either created from which disk?

・Can Designation hot spare disk?