Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 6th, 2017 12:00

Can Dell EMC Unity File Systems be moved to another NAS Server?

I would like to be able to move a NAS server from one SP to the other, but I understand that is not possible.

We are experiencing several unity bugs that have affected NAS servers on SPB where the SP panics and reboots. I would like to move one NAS server to SPA along with it's file systems. If not possible as I suspect, could I delete and recreate the NAS server on SPA and then mount the file systems from the old NAS server to the new one?

June 6th, 2017 12:00

The forthcoming Unity OE 4.2 (announced at Dell EMC World last month) includes the ability to move a NAS server and it's FS from one SP to the other within the same Unity array.

169 Posts

June 6th, 2017 16:00

If you need to do this due to any on going issues, please convey this the TSE that is working on your case for some workarounds.

If you want to do this for load balance purpose, yes, you can do a local replication (via uemcli) and migrate.

1 Rookie

• 

91 Posts

June 7th, 2017 10:00

I tried to set up a local replication to SPA but it says there are no pools available?

Can you only replicate to a separate pool? We only have one pool.

replicationunity.PNG.png

169 Posts

June 7th, 2017 15:00

CLI only will allow to use same pool. Refer KB 486383 -> NQ20

1 Rookie

• 

91 Posts

June 21st, 2017 12:00

I did this on my own by failing over with sync to the DR Unity.

Then I deleted the replication and deleted the nas server and file system on the (original) Prod Unity.

I set up a new replication from the DR Unity to the Prod Unity and specified SPA.

Our DR site is @ 50 miles away but we have fast pipes.

We replicated the nas server and ~4TB of data in about 2 hours.

I was then able to fail over to the Prod Site and be up and running on SPA with a NAS server and FS that were previously on SPB

8.6K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 03:00

thanks for the feedback

yes replicating to another system and then back to the other SP on the original Unity is also a valid option

No Events found!