Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2017 03:00

Is still recommended to not share File and Block LUNs in the same POOL in Unity?

Hi guys,

I was reading, and I saw that File and Block LUNs can use the same Unity POOL, but In best practices is not clear the final recommendations. As the I/O pattern is different, I think is still a good idea to create different POOLs, but, what EMC recommends?

What are de advantages and disvantages of using separate POOLs or just one POOL?

Thanks in advance

136 Posts

August 17th, 2017 11:00

Dell EMC recommends to use minimum number of pools to reduce complexity and increases flexibility. Respect to File & Block, I never come across recommendation from Dell EMC. But I would suggest to go for Unified pool because the system designed accordingly to meet the requirements. And I'd suggest you to get in touch with Dell EMC Engineer, based on your environment File & Block workload & IO profiles they can recommend which option you may choose.

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

September 6th, 2017 07:00

Thank you samuel, I've decided to separate the POOLs. In this way I have control in the FAST Caché and I can decide to use it or not for FILE, as in this case is not really needed.

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!