Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

September 10th, 2018 13:00

Unity-based file replication with DFS

I am new to Unity and have glanced through the whitepapers, but I want to understand what the Unity is and is not capable of.  I would like to set up file shares in an existing DFS environment.  In the existing environment, we have Isilons set up in an active-passive config: each DFS share folder had 2 targets and thus 2 distinct file servers.

The Unity does not seem to work the same way.  I have successfully configured a simple source and target replication, but the Unity replicates BOTH the file system and file server together and I can't seem to separate the two.  So this means that I have a single file server to place in my DFS and I would need to use the Unity to perform failovers.  Am I understanding this correctly?  Also, my arrays are on different subnets but I did notice I can put a second IP on as an 'override' so that seems to solve that issue..

I'm working with 2 Unity 550F all-flash arrays.

5 Posts

September 11th, 2018 07:00

Thank-you, Chris.  We do use Superna with our Isilons and that works well.  With Unity, it seems the redundancy is fully built in so there doesn't even seem like much need for DFS from that perspective.  But I think we'll keep it for the simple fact that everything (Isilon and Unity file shares) is in one DFS tree structure.  And that's nice regarding the DNS auto-registration.  I'll definitely fully test before going into prod. THanx again!  -Karl

450 Posts

September 11th, 2018 07:00

You're understanding it correctly.  With Isilon you could move the name over (manually), and then the DFS clients would be fine, but there's little need when an application like Superna Eyeglass for Isilon can take care of that for you.  With Unity, the whole NAS server, including the filesystems, shares, exports, etc. all get replicated to the other side, so yes you have to initiate failover from the Unity array itself (source or target), however then no changes are necessary in DFS, you just let it keep pointing at the one name.  And yes if you can't span the VLAN to the other side, you'll have to override the IP on the target side.  When you failover, the target Unity will dynamically re-register itself in DNS, and the AD machine account moves over too, which is awesome.  No need to mess with DFS, just let the leafs point at one location.  If you're unsure of what the customer experience looks like during a failover event, or how long it takes, or what the actions necessary are, I'd suggest creating another test NAS server with just 1 small filesystem on your production NAS, point DFS at it, toss some garbage data in it, and then fail it over.  Write yourself a little run-book on the procedure too with screenshots if you're feeling ambitious.

~Chris Klosterman

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

8.6K Posts

September 11th, 2018 09:00

bottom line is that switching the clients through DFS to the replication site isnt necessary with Unity

only exception could be if you cannot use the same IP on failover *and* your network doesnt allow dDNS updates

5 Posts

September 11th, 2018 13:00

So, I'm finding during testing that although failover works fine, it can take up to 20 min.  I have AD-integrated DNS and I am set to replicate AD  on any change.  I also set the TTL on the file server host record to 1 minute but I noticed when I initiate a failover on the Unity, it gets set back to 20 min so I'm assuming the Unity is setting this value.  Any way to change that behavior?

8.6K Posts

September 12th, 2018 04:00

thats strange and shouldnt take that long

are you sure that your DNS servers allow for (secure) dynamic DNS updates ?

yes there are parameters for DNS update behaviour that can be changed using svc_nas

See the Unity service commands PDF manual for details

If it still then takes this long I would recommend to open a service request to troubleshoot

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

June 24th, 2022 04:00

Hi,

Are you able to define Unity NAS server share as one of the DFS replication target.

• 

7.1K Posts

June 24th, 2022 09:00

Hello Wanaka,

Unlike a Isilon or vnx system where you can do that, on a unity system that is not able to be done.

No Events found!