Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2017 07:00

Upgraded UnityVSA now pools are unaccessible

In my Home Lab, I'm running 4.1.2.9257522 where I have only a few virtual ESXi hosts accessing a few Datastore LUNs via iSCSI from UnityVSA.  I upgraded The Unity code to 4.2.0.9476662 and after the upgrade was successful, the pool is now showing offline.  I have 2 VSA's (each upgraded independently) which exhibit this behavior.  I have rebooted the VSA and tried some rescan functions with no success.. All underlying disks are still presented to the UnityVSA.

I feel there is a major problem with this upgrade and I'm not sure how to involve support/engineering to assist with this issue given this is a lab environment.

September 12th, 2017 12:00

After more inspection, it looks like during the upgrade process, the attached back-end disks were re-discovered in UnityVSA and UnityVSA now has orphaned devices (where the back-end disks should have been discovered in the OS) and has added them as additional disks (beyond the original) and marked them as clones and unusable.

November 12th, 2017 21:00

Still fighting this issue.. It looks like the WWNs which UnityVSA Assigns to the Back-End Pool Disks (Virtual Disks) somehow have been altered from the original.  I need a procedure how to edit what the Virtual Disk's WWNs for a specific Pool so UnityVSA doesn't detect these disks as duplicates.

November 12th, 2017 22:00

And It looks like I have an answer to this issue (finally).

This isn't a UNITY problem, however UnityVSA would be best served to have some sort of disk update procedure.

The issue is that on my storage side the VMware "naa.XXXX.." device identifiers of my disks presented to UnityVSA (as RDM) changed.  UnityVSA apparently tracks the pool virtual devices by the naa.XXXX device identifiers..

hard-coding the naa.XXXX identifiers on my storage side back to the original (found the original by running svc_storage -l) on the UnityVSA CLI under the service login.

Hopefully this will be useful to someone else out there..

• 

239 Posts

November 12th, 2017 23:00

Hey Kyle,

In your last post you mention RDMs, please note that Dell EMC UnityVSA does not support RDM (Raw Device Mappings). It only supports VMDKs that are presented from a datastore.

See page 11 of the Dell EMC Unity VSA doc:

https://support.emc.com/docu69890_UnityVSA:-A-Detailed-Review.pdf?language=en_US

Thanks,

Andre @ Dell EMC

21 Posts

February 21st, 2019 15:00

Hi all,

I have the same issue after upgrading the UnityVSA from 4.4.1 to 4.5.0. The upgrade finished completely but I have errors regarding the virtual disks:

"The virtual disk is resized and in error state. Pool will be offline. CIFS access could be stopped by the change. Please refer to the knowledge base to fix the issue."

I haven't resized the virtual disks. And I don't find anything at the knowledge base. The former upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.4.1 worked like a charm.

Please help. I don't have access to my data any more.

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• 

239 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 06:00

@TheExpert ,

Is this a community VSA or Professional version?

If professional, please create an SR for this asap so we can investigate.

Are you using RDMs for your setup?

21 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 11:00

@Andre_DellEMC 

It's a community VSA with VMDKs on a VMware ESXi 6.7 (free hypervisor).

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• 

239 Posts

February 26th, 2019 00:00

If it's community then it's not Dell EMC supported. Will be tough to help but I will try.

If you monitor the boot sequence on the vSphere console, do you see anything that could point us in the right direction?

Perhaps you can send me those outputs in a private message.

21 Posts

March 2nd, 2019 08:00

@Andre_DellEMC 

I wanted to send you a PN. I made a video of the boot sequence of the Unity VSA because then you can see all the output of this sequence. But it's not possible to upload a video file to the PN. How can I send you the .wmv file with about 1.5 MB?

The only obviously thing for me is that after coming to the login prompt there are 29 more steps - see the top line on the right and it hangs at step 28.

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• 

239 Posts

March 4th, 2019 01:00

I'll drop you a private message

21 Posts

March 4th, 2019 03:00

@Andre_DellEMC

I sent you an email.

Kind Regards

TheExpert