Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2013 07:00

Difference Between Timefinder VP and Time Finder SNAP

HI Team,

please let know what is the main difference between the time finder VP and time Finder Snap.

Please let know where it can be used?

and also please let know if you have any diagram to understand better.

thanks in advance

859 Posts

May 9th, 2013 07:00

I am assuming you want to know the diff between tf/snap and tf vp snap.
1. tf snap works with symsnap command and tf vp works with symclone -vse option

2) in snap, protected tracks from source are copied to snap pool but in virtual snap, the protected tracks are copied to pools. You source and target both could reside in the same thin pool or in different.

3) VP Snap leverages TimeFinder/Clone technology to create space-efficient snaps for thin devices by allowing multiple sessions to share capacity allocations within a thin pool.

4) In diag below, i have got one thin source bound to a pool and three clone (vp snap) devices bound to another pool but the data of three targets are being shared. I can also have source and target bound to the same thin pool to save space.

VSE.JPG.jpg

467 Posts

May 9th, 2013 09:00

Basically you've got symsnap and symclone...  Symsnap makes a copy of the data  you're snapping for access.  This way access to the snap does not impact the source volume buy takes additional storage. Whereas symclone simply references an existing copy of the data and IO sent to the clone is redirect (on the backend) to the data stored by the source.  This means you dont need as much space,  but IO operations on the copy can impact the source..

2.2K Posts

May 9th, 2013 13:00

If you want to learn about VP Snaps review the white paper below:

https://support.emc.com/docu40346_White_Paper:_Implementing_EMC_TimeFinder_VP_Snap_for_Local_Replication.pdf?language=en_US

The main differences?

TimeFinder VP Snap is part of TimeFinder clone and TDEVs as the snap targets, and are bound to Thin Pools.

TimeFinder Snap uses VDEVs as the snap targets and requires that you create a Snap pool using SAV devs (similar to TDATs).

97 Posts

May 10th, 2013 00:00

so when i have use TF SNAP and TF VP SNAP ?

what is the benefit on these two ?

97 Posts

ok sure. but even i have the book but a bit confused state . hence atleast i get help from EMC community.

465 Posts

If you are new to Timefinder and looking to understand the basic concepts and overview, the EMC Symmetrix Timefinder for VMAX documents are an excellent starting point. Search "Symmetrix timefinder product guide for VMAX" in support.emc.com. There is one book for the VMAX 10K and another for the 20K/40K.

There are suitability use cases for each type of SNAP that will help you determine what is best for you.

465 Posts

I understand, when you are new to the technology, it can be a little daunting...

Do you have a use case for point-in-time copy but not sure which type of Timefinder to use?

Or perhaps can you be a little more specific with some questions we can answer?

The other alternative is to reach out to your local account team, that may be able to assist with an overview or get you onto a training course.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 10th, 2013 09:00

there was a great session at EMC World about that topic, when it gets released maybe some EMC folks can share a couple of slides, it was John Lynch's session.

97 Posts

May 13th, 2013 01:00

can you share the link?

97 Posts

May 13th, 2013 06:00

i could not find it. please share it.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

it has not been released yet

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

it has not been released yet and will only be available to people who registered for EMC World. Your local EMC resource will have access to it as well.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 13th, 2013 08:00

nope

467 Posts

May 13th, 2013 08:00

unrelated but someone posted notes from SE Conf... can't recall who,  was password protected,  so was going to email him.. happen to have seen that?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 24th, 2013 05:00

Hi Saurabh,

Why you think have the source/ target will be at risk? I am not able to come up with a scenario where it willl impact.can you advise.

No Events found!