Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2013 02:00

Moving a LUN between Storage Groups in the same Masking View

Hi there,

I have a masking view with a parent storage group that contains three child storage groups.

Each Child Storage Group has a different FAST-VP policy applied to it.

I now need to move some LUNs from one child storage group to another as the LUNs require a different FAST-VP policy.

Is it possible to move the LUNs without disrupting host IO?

34 Posts

August 22nd, 2013 04:00

Since you are planning to move the device between child SG's within a single parent, it would not be possible to do this without first removing it from one SG and then adding it to the other.

If you try to simply add the device to the 2nd child, while it is still part of the first, it will fail as a result of two aspects.

1. The device masking through the same FA and HBA is already present, hence will fail cause enginuity will complain that the masking is already done.

2. You cannot have a device being associated to multiple fast policies.

Hence the only way here is to remove from 1 sg and add to the other, requiring a disruption.

15 Posts

August 22nd, 2013 04:00

Hi Tandok.

Thanks for the response. That is roughly the conclusion that I had come to, but wanted to check that I hadn't missed something as I'm a bit of a newbie to some of this.

It therefore makes me think that Storagre Groups for Masking View presentation should be kept seperate from Storage Groups used to apply FAST-VP polices. In that way, I can just present all the LUNs to the host(s) and then they can be moved between other 'FAST-VP' storage groups based on current policy requirements.

No Events found!