Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 12th, 2015 07:00

Terminating Vp Snap on VMAX

Hello we have  a 2 Tb DB which we replicate to another DC using RP and makes 14 different instances.

Initially we used  TF clones with precopy diff but as it takes time to catch up when ever we refresh the data. we moved to Snap/Vp which is instant but when we want to refresh it.. We always have to terminate session first as i dont see any option to recreate... And terminating a VP Snap takes more than an hour for each instance. Is there a better way to refresh the target DB.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 12th, 2015 08:00

when you activate TF clone, you don't have to wait for state to change to Copied ...you can use target right away (while it still copying in the background). I understand you have changed to another technology at this point ..but something to consider. We have our Oracle DB sitting in pre-copy mode hanging off an R2 and as soon as TF Clone is activated they bring it up.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 12th, 2015 14:00

so you tried symclone recreate and it did not work ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 12th, 2015 14:00

Hello Thanks for responding. Yes when we use TF with pre copy and activate DB should can be bought up... We tried that .. But with  number of clones(14 and growing) and with limitation with TF/Clone. I wanted to see if there is a recreate option for VP/Snap. So that we dont terminate every time and create a new snap.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 13th, 2015 11:00

No Am looking for a proper command if there is one  which i couldn't anywhere.. when i do symclone sid xx -f <> recreate on a existing VP snap it it doesn't accept

127 Posts

February 14th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

Please consider moving this discussion to VMAX or any other VMAX related community for better visibility and relevance. There is no need to change the discussion, just click on the 'Move' link on the top right under the 'Actions' widget.

Raj

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

February 14th, 2015 04:00

Recreate should work.  It is allowed.  Is this cascaded VP Snap or something else going on?  Can you run the recreate command with -v and attach the output?  Or you can open a case with support if this is urgent.

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

February 14th, 2015 04:00

Here is another discussion about recreate:

https://community.emc.com/message/771073

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2015 07:00

Hello Michael,

No this s not a cascaded.. The Snap source is a Recover point device(R2 in srdf terms). I will post the out put when we do refresh next week.

Thanks

5 Posts

February 16th, 2015 05:00

Please run this cmd:

symclone -g TestDg recreate DEV001 sym ld DEV002 - precopy.

this cmd will start the incremental copy in the background.

5 Posts

February 16th, 2015 05:00

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

February 16th, 2015 06:00

VP Snaps (ie symclone -vse) do not / cannot use precopy.  This command will be rejected on any VP Snap sessions.

February 16th, 2015 11:00

annemh,

Terminate command, initiate a reverse process on pair devices. From Activate>>Created>>Invalid>>Delete pairs.In background it deallocates the modified tracks of VPsnap target devices and release the protected tracks of source devices. Terminate takes time, but there can be many factors:

• how many tracks modified on target devices.
  • If high I/Os on pair devices during terminate.
  • If BE utilization is high ...etc.

Recreate is possible for VPsnap, command is:

symclone -sid xxx -file recrete

It do not require (-vse) option, because same has already given during initial create command.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 16th, 2015 15:00

Thanks every one. Harry I will try this out this week and let you know how it goes. Thanks for information

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 24th, 2015 11:00

Harry that worked i was using -vse before like you said thanks much.

No Events found!