Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

May 14th, 2013 10:00

Unisphere for VMAX upgrade

When I upgrade my Unisphere for VMAX the SPA diagnostic and historical data is not preserved. I can take a backup prior to the upgrade then restore from the file after the upgrade however I'm not sure if this is the correct process. Can anyone confirm whether or not the SPA data should be preserved during and upgrade.

v1.5.1.1 to v1.6.0.8

12 Posts

May 14th, 2013 10:00

Also I notice that if I do perform the backup prior to the upgrade and restore it only saves the historical data and not the diagnostic data.

859 Posts

May 15th, 2013 03:00

page # 28 of this document

https://support.emc.com/docu47001_Unisphere-for-VMAX-1.6-Installation-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

does not mention anything about taking the backup of spa db and restoring after upgrade so it means we can directly upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 BUT i am not that optimistic person when it comes to data. Its better to take the backup of the db before the upgrade (just in case something goes wrong).

Regarding your second question, during the backup and restore of the SPA db, diag data is not kept. This is true and the reason for not keeping diag data is the size of backed up file would be too large then and may cause issues while restoring.

regards,

Saurabh

76 Posts

May 21st, 2013 08:00

That error indicates an issue with connecting to symapi, saying the connection has been refused.  You'll want to check your Symapi server (whether it's the same host as Unisphere or separate).  Check that the EMC Storsrvd service is running and if it is, look for errors in these 2 logs:

\EMC\symapi\log\symapi log

\EMC\symapi\log\storsrvd.log

I agree with Saurabh in that doing a backup is a good idea before any upgrade, although I don't believe it should not be necessary during an upgrade from 1.5.1.1 to 1.6.0.8 per the documentation.

27 Posts

May 21st, 2013 08:00

I did an upgrade from Unisphere for VMAX 1.5.1 to 1.6.0.8, it is thrrowing an error:

SMAS server failed to start

SymObjectModelService 

java.lang.RuntimeException: SymInitialize failed with code 510 (SYMAPI_C_NET_CONN_REFUSED) 

SymapiSession 

SYMAPI_C_NET_CONN_REFUSED 

OmRefreshService 

java.lang.RuntimeException: SymInitialize failed with code 510 (SYMAPI_C_NET_CONN_REFUSED)

Any idea why??? I could not find a reference to this error anywhere..

I did not do any backup. I thought SPA was integrated into Unisphere (unlike in SMC).

278 Posts

May 21st, 2013 10:00

Hi Hamilton,

question please.

The UniSphere is installed on Windows machine or on Virtual Appliance.

I have read that trying to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 but having your Uni in Virtual Appliance you will have issues.

76 Posts

May 21st, 2013 10:00

Actually I just tested an upgrade from 1.5.1.1 to 1.6.0.8.  During the upgrade there is a popup that says to make sure you do a backup of the Performance Database before proceeding.  You must do a backup of the data before upgrading or the data may be lost.

When we upgraded in the lab I saw the same result.  The data was not available until I restored the Database.

One more thing to note, when backing up the database if you want to keep the Diagnostic data make sure you choose the checkbox for that.  By default you only get the Historical data.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 13th, 2013 15:00

I had the exact 'SMAS server failed to start' error and found that (1) the storsrvd process had to be started AND (2) the SMAS service had to be recycled.  In this particular case SMAS service was running on a Win2012 virtual machine and calling out to the SYMAPI server on a Solaris box (ex. sol1).   I detail greater in following procedure.

(1) See if SYMAPI Server daemon running (storsrvd) on your SYMAPI server (ex. sol1)

sol1:/ # stordaemon list –running

Available Daemons  ('

• ': Currently Running:
  • storapid              EMC Solutions Enabler Base Daemon
  • storgnsd              EMC Solutions Enabler GNS Daemon
  • storwatchd            EMC Solutions Enabler Watchdog Daemon
  • (2) Start storsrvd, if it is not running

sol1:/ # stordaemon start storsrvd

(3) Verify storsrvd running, before recycling ‘SMAS’ service

sol1:/ # stordaemon list -running

Available Daemons  ('

• ': Currently Running):
  • storapid              EMC Solutions Enabler Base Daemon
  • storgnsd              EMC Solutions Enabler GNS Daemon
  • storwatchd            EMC Solutions Enabler Watchdog Daemon
  • storsrvd              EMC Solutions Enabler SYMAPI Server Daemon
  • (4) On SMAS/Unisphere server recycle ‘EMC Symmetrix Management Application Server’ (aka SMAS) service AND wait 5 or so minutes.  If you get a 404 webpage error (ex.  /univmax not available), you will need to wait a few minutes and try again, but in under 10 minutes services should start up to where you can use Unisphere to access your Symmetrix environment.

No Events found!