Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2015 10:00

VMAXe Masking View (Recoverpoint tagged storage group)

Current have a masking view that is used for a group of VMware hosts giving them access to their VMFS volumes that are all tagged for recoverpoint.  The masking view unfortunately contains a port group which only contains ports from a single director vs. both directors.

What I've learned is that if I attempt to just add two new ports to the port group that are on the other director the vmax will complain because there are active copy sessions (recoverpoint).  I'm wondering if to get around this problem and not stopping replication everywhere if I can just create a brand new port group, shutdown all VM's running on those hosts, and swap out the port group currently in the masking view with four ports from one director and replaced it with the new port group that contains 2 from one side and 2 from the other.

In my example recoverpoint is masked to all the ports so I'm good there.  Will anything prevent me from swapping out the port group similar to my inability just to add two new ports to the existing port group.

121 Posts

May 20th, 2015 10:00

Sorry, but that will not work either. The restriction is that no volumes may be mapped to additional FA ports while the RP splitter is replicating data. This applies regardless of how the Masking Views and Port Groups are configured. Your only option is to stop replication, map the additional ports, and restart replication.

2 Intern

• 

227 Posts

May 20th, 2015 11:00

Ok, so just to be clear, if I have 8 hosts in the cluster, and of the say 10 volumes that are presented, four of them are recoverpoint tagged, I would need to stop both copies (CDP and CRR) for those four volumes, once things are stopped, I should be able to add the two new ports to the current group?

Also, is just disabling the CG good enough?  Or do I need to tear down the CG?

522 Posts

My Bad...it was Zahid's post above...sorry about that guys!

522 Posts

Disabling the CG is good enough...that will stop the ORS sessions in the background. No need to tear them down. You might also be able to make a new masking view if that is an alternative (host rescans, etc). Here is a recent post from Idan on a similar issue since this is a known limitation of the VMAX splitter:

https://community.emc.com/message/880824?et=watches.email.thread#880824

121 Posts

Yes, all replication needs to be stopped for any volumes involved in the mapping change. Disabling the CG will be sufficient. Please note that any symaccess commands that manipulate RP tagged devices will require that you use the "-rp" command line flag.

2 Intern

• 

227 Posts

Ok, but if I'm making changes in unisphere, outside of stopping Replication and Adding storage groups, I shouldn't need to untag devices for recoverpoint against the four devices on the VMAX correct?

121 Posts

May 20th, 2015 12:00

The Unisphere help file does not go into this specific detail. I don't have an applicable system to test on at the moment, so I can't answer with certainty. My guess is that a dialog may come up with a warning, but it should be possible as you have described.

2 Intern

• 

227 Posts

May 20th, 2015 18:00

Thanks for all the great feedback, so having to just stop replication followed by adding the port group, so long as my hosts are zoned to those ports, there shouldn't be any reason for me to shutdown all the VM's on the hosts then i'm assuming?

121 Posts

May 21st, 2015 05:00

No, the host may stay up and access the storage during this process. Keep in mind that the RPAs will also need to be zoned to these new ports since the splitter requires that the RPAs have access to each port a replicated volume is mapped to.

No Events found!