Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2012 04:00

PowerPath/VE LUN tresspass with VNX and vPlex

Had an interesting question today which I didn't know the answer to and can't seem to find one and I'm hoping someone can share what they know.

So say I had a setup that includes a couple of VNX Arrays with vPlex in front of it (could be either local or metro configuration) with vSphere and PowerPath/VE also deployed consuming vPlex volumes for datastores.

What happens with LUN tresspassing if it is initiated by PowerPath/VE at the host level, i.e. it detects an issue and it PowerPath/VE believes it needs to tresspass the LUN from the owning SP to the other SP. How does that work with vPlex in the way?

Does it have some sort of way of mapping through to the underlying LUN used to make up the virtual volume and it’s information so that it can tresspass the LUN?

Although my question is related to PowerPath/VE I'm sure the same applies with physical Windows Servers using PowerPath connected to the vPlex.

92 Posts

August 30th, 2012 11:00

Hi Craig,

In this scenario, PP/VE does not initiate LUN trespass because it it not conneced to the VNX!

PP/VE Is conneced to VPLEX, a full active/active "stoage".

August 30th, 2012 12:00

Hey Rafa

Ok so that makes sense, as the vPlex engine / directors are built in a similair fashion to Symmetrix the connectivity to the vPlex from the FC switches would almost be like connecting to two FE ports on different directors.  this would be an active/active setup.

So does that mean the only tresspassing of luns would be array initiated and therefore recoverable by the array back to the owning SP?

Hope that makes sense!?

No Events found!