Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2011 09:00

Solutions Enabler on vSphere (ESX 4.1) -

I want to install Solutions Enabler on vSphere Server 4.1, but I can't find reference to install it. Neither software or DOC named for vSphere. May I use the Linux resources and references to install it ?

I need this because I installed VSI on vSphere Client at WinXP notebook, and in this environment I haven't vCenter Server.

The DOC "EMC Solutions Enabler - Installation Guide - Version 7.2" P/N 300-008-918 REV A04 just reference vSphere on "Deploying The Solutions Enabler Virtual Appliance". Is this the only way to have Solutions Enabler on vSphere Server ?

Anyone can help me ?

Regards.

Cristiano.

286 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 10:00

Christiano,

The preferred method for deploying Solutions Enabler in a VMware environment is through the use of the SE Virtual Appliance--mainly because it is the easiest and fastest way to go about doing it. I would suggest it for those reasons (you dont have to have vCenter, you can deploy it with the vSphere client to just an ESX host). Other than that, you can install it on any linux or Windows virtual or physical machine you have running in your environment (that has direct access to Symmetrix gatekeepers if you are using a Symmetrix)  and then make sure you have the server daemon running and configured properly which is documented in the remote/client SE setup portion of the install guide. Firewall exceptions might need to be made as well.

If you are running ESX (not ESXi) you can also install the linux version of SE on the service console of the ESX server, but we discourage the use of that wherever possible.

You can find a bit more of an in-depth discussion of the vApp on page 52 of this techbook:

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Basics/White_Paper/h7061-srdf-adapter-vcenter-srm.pdf

Hope this helps

Cody

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cody Hosterman
SVPG Partner Engineering – VMware & Cisco Technologies
Symmetrix & Virtualization Product Group
EMC Corporation

Twitter @codyhosterman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 3rd, 2011 14:00

Thank you, Cody.

I was just reading your TechBook (with your friends) "Using EMC Symmetrix Storage in VMware Infrastructure and vSphere Environments - Version 4.0" at Appendix C ....

https://powerlink.emc.com/nsepn/webapps/btg548664833igtcuup4826/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/H2529_vmware_esx_svr_w_symmetrix_wp_ldv.pdf?mtcs=ZXZlbnRUeXBlPUttQ2xpY2tDb250ZW50RXZlbnQsZG9jdW1lbnRJZD0wOTAxNDA2NjgwNGVmOTViLGRvY3VtZW50VHlwZT1wZGYsbmF2ZU5vZGU9MGIwMTQwNjY4MDE0YWM1N19Hcmlk

.... when I received your reply.

And, yes, I am running ESX (not ESXi) and running Symmetrix.

Regards,

Cristiano.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2011 15:00

You can use that Solution Enabler appliance or use a Windows/Linux VM, installa solutions enabler and present a couple of gatekeepers to the VM (physical compatibility mode)

286 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 16:00

Awesome, great to hear! Please let me know if you have any questions!

February 8th, 2011 12:00

Thanks, Cody and Dynamox.

This my vSphere 4.1 Server is for laboratory purposes at this moment. Exactly for this I installed and tested both solutions that Cody spoke. Both all right. I haven't tested yet the suggestion from Dynamox about installing SE on Windows or Linux running in a VM at this vSphere Server, but after the two tests mentioned, I have no doubt that it will function well too, then it is also a good alternative.

For readers interested in this post that are installing SE in vSphere, some tips below that could help to resolve question on integration tests. But consider note from Cody about recommendation of doing this or not.

On SE Server in vShpere server:

1 - I used SE version 7.2. Download "se7200-Linux-i386-ni.tar.gz" from EMC Powerlink > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads S > Solutions Enabler.

2 - SE doesn't need license for basic function (so not so basic) like this integration with VSI.

3 - You need to start the SE storsrvd daemon.

4 - You may need configure the /var/symapi/config/daemon_options file. Look this file at section storsrvd, mainly in storsrvd:security_***

5 - Directory /var/symapi/log contains the SE logs that help you to see server error messages at conection from SE Client (VSI at vSphere Client) to SE Server (vSphere Server)

On SE Client in vSphere client where EMC VSI plugin was installed (In my case at Windows XP notebook):

1 - I download "emc-vsi-sv-4.0.0-vmware-vsphere-WINDOWS-x86.zip" from EMC Powerlink > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads T-Z > Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI).

2 - Folder C:\Program Files\EMC\SYMAPI\log contains the SE logs that help you to see client error messages at conection from SE Client (VSI at vSphere Client) to SE Server (vSphere Server).

3 - You may need insert your SE server host IP address at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Like if you don't resolve hostnames from DNS.

Cheers.

Cristiano.

No Events found!