This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 6th, 2011 02:00

VDI in CAD/CAM Environment

Hello Experts,

Do we have any reference of VDI in CAD/CAM environment? CAD/CAM workstations are quite heavy in load, wondering if VDI is good fit for these applications.

Regards,

Amit

225 Posts

December 6th, 2011 18:00

Hello,

Before we are talking about the benefits of using VDI in your case, I like to check with you if this CAD/CAM are relied on any hardware technology for Graphics Rendering, such as GPU or Hardware accelerator card on workstation. If not, I think this CAD/CAM environment could be virtualized, then, CAD/CAM environment could have benefits of VDI, performance, cost efficiency and protection.

About customer reference, I recommend you to submit request to Studio E on Powerlink.

Thanks,

Eddy

199 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 02:00

VMware View 5 supports DirectX9, OpenGL2.1, Aero feature and Office 2010. you can go check what graphic rendering feature CAD/CAM is actually requiring. There is a blog discussing using AutoCad on VMware View, you can go below link for more details.

http://tagware.info/vmware-esxi-4-0-and-vmware-view/258.htm

225 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 18:00

It is a good example of CAD on VDI.

VMware tool supporting DX and OpenGL, mean it is able to understand their API, this effort of rendering is still done with CPU on ESX. In your example, on Server configuration, there is no any GPU.

As I know, lot of CAD user case, they are leveraging GPU to archive time of rendering performance of CPU.

Eddy

643 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 23:00

VMware will support full 3D graphics over the LAN, including CAD/CAM, video, GIS, animation, etc. For this use case, they will require the assistance of "specialized hardware on the host and the client." In other words, this is exactly how Teradici works today. (It's just that they can broker the connection with VMware View, which is also actually available today.)

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/brianmadden/archive/2009/02/25/vmware-clarifies-what-features-they-ll-support-via-pc-over-ip-for-vdi.aspx

No Events found!