Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2009 06:00

Celerra Storage Device Question

My company has recently migrated some of our servers to EMC Celerra Storage devices and away from windows.  I had some scripts running on these servers that automated the creation and removal of personal user shares on these servers.  I would like to know what if any scripting options are available for these devices?  I usually use VBSCRIPT.   Is it possible create shares via VBScript on these devices?  Will Windows shell script work or powershell?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 14th, 2009 16:00

SW technical FAQ (below) confirms we are supporting W2K8 now (p.21) and certification is posted at Microsoft. We support the OS, iSCSI, Clustering and Hyper-V.

Yes, Celerra will respond to standard Windows CIFS API calls. Customer can use scripts or powershell to make call and respond to it.

We also offer support with a PS engagement if they need help creating scripts.

Here's a guide on using Celerra in Windows environment.

Thanks- Mike

3 Posts

September 15th, 2009 05:00

Thank you very much for your assistance on this. I really appreciate it. So, to summarize, I should be able to use the standard windows shell scripts, or power shell, to manipulate shares and directories on the Celerra environment, but not VBScript?

Also, thank you very much for the guides, they should prove to be some good reading. Hopefully between those documents and some windows research I should be able to write something that works.

Thanks again.

Rob

Robert Kimball

Arrow Electronics, Inc.

Data Security Analyst

Email: rkimball@arrow.com

Work Phone: 631-847-5353

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 5th, 2009 09:00

Rob,

if you are using Celerra as a space that hosts your user's home drive you might want to look in Celerra's functionality such as: Home folder, Access based enumeration and tree/user quotas.

3 Posts

October 12th, 2009 07:00

Are those seperate products/Applications? What I require is a method of automation by either vbscript or windows shell scripting.

Rob

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 13th, 2009 08:00

Rob,

Francisco is our NS expert and should be able to help you out. He is the one I talked with to get you the first answer.

Thanks- Mike

Michael Booth

Area Channel Manager

Northern Cal - SLED & Healthcare

EMC Corporation

Office: (916) 797-7070

Cell: (408) 836-6922

Email: Booth_Michael@emc.com

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 13th, 2009 08:00

Rob,

Yes, Home folder, Access based enumeration and tree/user quotas are build-in functionality into Celerra.

790 Posts

October 30th, 2009 08:00

This message thread was originally posted in the ECN Connect area.

It has now been moved to the new Celerra Unified Storage forum in the ECN Open Exchange area.

Celerra developer/programming questions should be posted to the Celerra Developer community

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 24th, 2009 09:00

you can download Celerra apps&tools cd which contains emcabe command line tool that allows you to enable ABE on Celerra shares.

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

November 24th, 2009 09:00

How do you enable Access Based Enumeration on a CIFS share?  I have a Celerra and want to explore this as an alternative to building a Windows Server virtual machine just to do file server purposes.

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

November 24th, 2009 10:00

Ok and I can then turn it on or off per share?

Why didn't they just put a checkbox in the CIFS share properties?  Why wouldn't you want ABE?

I just don't want it to affect the iscsi luns that are on the Celerra.  We have a lot of free diskspace so I wanted to experiment setting up a file server.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

sauerk wrote:

Ok and I can then turn it on or off per share?

Why didn't they just put a checkbox in the CIFS share properties?  Why wouldn't you want ABE?

I just don't want it to affect the iscsi luns that are on the Celerra.  We have a lot of free diskspace so I wanted to experiment setting up a file server.

yes, you can enable/disable on per share bases. Some shops don't use ABE becase their dicrectory structure does not allow them to do that, some don't want to.

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

Thanks.  I found my Apps & Tools CD and I'll see if I can figure it out.  Thanks for your help.

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

Works like a charm!  Thanks again.

I did

emcabe /E /T san1-pottstown /s data

EMCABE 02.00

ABE is now enabled on share data.

Tested it and it works.

No Events found!