Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

November 12th, 2018 19:00

How monitoring EMC VNX 5200

Goodnight everyone,

I have an EMC VNX 5200 device which I want to monitor with Nagios Core 4.4.1. I have looked for information on the internet that indicates that I should use the

- Navicli

- Navisphere

- Unisphere

I could only get the Navicli 7.33.91 for Linux .. but I do not know how to use it from my Centos 7 ... could you please indicate how to configure it to monitor my VNX.

Greetings from Peru.

4.5K Posts

November 13th, 2018 09:00

For the VNX2 series (5200, 5400, etc) Unisphere(Navisphere is an older version just for the CLARiiON line of arrays) is a user GUI interface to the array for configuring and monitoring the array's functions. Naviseccli is a command line interface set of commands you use to send commands to the array to do things - configure LUNs, add hosts, run diagnostics, etc.

Naviseccli runs on a host (Windows, UNIX, Linux, HP, SUN, IBM, etc). You install the Linux version for other Linux distros, like Centos. The release notes for Naviseccli lists the supported Operating Systems..

From what I can see from the Nagios pages it appears to use Naviseccli to monitor the array. Whether or not it works with the VNX2 5400 or not is something that you should contact Nagios about. The EMC naviseccli is pretty much the same on the CLARiiON (CX3, CX4) as it is on the VNX (there are certain commands that are uniques to each model).

I'd recommend getting the Naviseccli Command Line Interface User Guide to help you learn how to use it. But you need to contact Nagios to see what's supported.

glen

3 Posts

November 21st, 2018 00:00

Hi,

I'am in the same case about monitoring. I found a nagios plugin which used the uemcli to communicate with array.

But i can't use the Unisphere Cli from OS.  I installed it on a RHEL7.5 but can't connect to our  2 VNX5200 (ping OK and get CA information).

Here The output error. Can't find anything for logging/Debbuging

uemcli -d 10.50.0.8 -u admin -p password /user/account show

Storage system address: 10.50.0.8

Storage system port: 443

HTTPS connection

Remote certificate:

Issuer:     CN=10.50.0.8,CN=A-IMAGE,OU=CLARiiON

Subject:    CN=10.50.0.8,CN=A-IMAGE,OU=CLARiiON

Valid from: 2016-06-13 10:02:18 Z

Valid to:   2021-06-12 10:02:18 Z

Serial:     67b7b6f2

Id:         3409306009

Would you like to:

[1] Accept the certificate for this session

[2] Reject the certificate

[3] Accept and store

Please input your selection (The default selection is [1]):

Operation failed. Error code: 0x100000a

The system was unable to connect to the storage server. (Error Code:0x100000a)

The Unisphere client for Windows works fine with same credentials.

Any idea ?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

November 21st, 2018 01:00

which plugin are you using ?

3 Posts

Thanks for your reply first.

I'am newbie on EMC technologie (VNX or Unity) so i'am a little confused about different system. We are using the Unisphere client on Windows so, i tokk the same name for linux....

what do you mean about "he block side, server_*/nas_* commands on the CS for the file part" ?

The plugin's name is check_vne.pl

8.6K Posts

thats quite normal

uemcli is for the Unity series

VNX uses navicli for the block side, server_*/nas_* commands on the CS for the file part

8.6K Posts

November 21st, 2018 09:00

It means that the VNX has different API's for block than for file

for block there is a remote CLI similar to uemcli that is called navi(sec)cli

for file (NAS) you login to the control station and execute commands there - there is no remote cli for that

Unisphere is just a general name used across the different VNX, VNXe, Unity platforms.

bottom line - your Nagios plugin should tell you which systems it support and which API's it needs for that

A plugin that was written for VNX will not work on Unity and vice versa

If its written for VNXe it may work on Unity with some modifications since the API's for VNXe are closer to Unity - it will not work on VNX

3 Posts

November 21st, 2018 23:00

Hi Rainer,

thank you for your explaination. It's clearer for me now.

I didn't find yet a dedicate nagios plugin for VNX systems.

Have a good day

8.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2018 01:00

you're welcome

I remember there was one for VNX block some years ago by a 3rd party but cant find it

If you want to write one yourself I would suggest to use navicli as the API

8.6K Posts

November 26th, 2018 03:00

thanks for the feedback

good for others to know

4.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2018 13:00

Please remember to mark your question Answered as this will help others that may have the same question.

glen

No Events found!