Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 12th, 2011 00:00

How to set tier when not using FAST VP on VNX5100?

Hello,

I'm just wondering how to set the manual tiering when NOT using FAST VP on a VNX5100 with 5 ESX servers connected in a cluster ?

Everyone is speaking about automated tiering, but what if you are not making use of this feature and you are ONLY using FAST Cache.

regards,

Tom.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 12th, 2011 03:00

if i understand correctly, VNX5100 supports either virtual provisioning or FAST Cache, so if you are using FAST Cache you are working with traditional raid groups and there you decide how you build them and how you provision them.

2.1K Posts

December 13th, 2011 21:00

I've seen the same restriction listed dynamox. It appears that you can actually manage to load the enablers for virtual provisioning and FAST Cache at the same time, but they cause "performance problems" and the next version of FLARE OE will prevent this.

Curious, but I guess just one of the selling points for going with the 5300 or higher.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 15th, 2011 14:00

Glen,

it's vnx 5100 ..you either get pools or fast cache ..not both.

4.5K Posts

Ooops - sorry - no FAST VP for 5100 only Pools - forget that - thanks for correcting that.

glen

4.5K Posts

On the Pool, you have four choices on LUNs for the tiering policy - high, low, auto, no. Or you can disable tiering. You can also enable to disable FAST cache on the Pool (affects all LUNs in the Pool).

If you really only want to use FAST cache, as Dynamox said, you can use regular raid groups and regular LUNs - this way you can set FAST cache on individual LUNs - most flexible.

glen

Update: This is incorrect - 5100 only allows either thin pool or FAST cache, but not both.

Message was edited by: Glen Kelley

2 Intern

• 

160 Posts

December 16th, 2011 01:00

I believe EMC has made a big mistake with the VNX5100.

Actually it should have been in another league... as is the VNXe.

When I first installed a VNX5100 at a customer, the OE was still x.x.x...006 and this allowed the installation of the FAST Cache enabler together with the Thin Provisioning enabler....

This was reported to cause performance problems.

And now the VNX5100 has been configured with one RAID GROUP with the first 4 flare disks, then 2 EFD100 disks for FAST CACHE and then 3x SAS300GB & 3x NLSAS2TB in one Pool.

Now since we cannot use FAST VP, I'm thinking it was a really bad idea to use a pool...

So I don't really now what's happening with the data on the luns in the pool.

See screenshots from pool & lun below. Can someone tell me what's going on in the VNX5100 pool luns ?

Pool-Tiering:

fraber-pool-tier1.JPG

Lun-Tiering:

fraber-lun-tier1.JPG

No Events found!