Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2011 07:00

Impact of Adding Vcenter to Unisphere?

I have an NS-120 that was recently upgraded to the newest FLARE code. This was done mainly to enable some of the new virtual provisioning features and Unisphere. We currently have 6 ESX hosts that are attached via Fiber Channel. Now that we have Unisphere, I'd like to add the associated vCenter so that we can view vm-specific information within Unisphere. Is there any impact to the hosts whatsoever by adding the vCenter server in and auto-detecting VMware information?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 29th, 2011 17:00

South,

Not sure I understand the question. Let me try to clarify...

If you're wondering if Unisphere needs a host agent (physical or virtual) to provide virtual machine information, the answer is "no". As a result, there is no impact on the performance of the virtual machine or the physical host. Be sure to download the VMware plug-in for Celerra from Powerlink in order to maximize the benefit of using your NS-120 to host your virtual machines.

Best regards,

D.

86 Posts

May 31st, 2011 13:00

Drew, thanks for the response. Let me see if I can explain it better. Our NS-120 currently hosts storage for multiple ESX servers. Currently, I have not added the Vcenter server into Unisphere. This would allow me to view the ESX hosts within that Vcenter and get a little more information. Currently when I click on the "Virtualization" tab within "Hosts" it is blank because I haven't defined a Vcenter server yet. I'm betting there is no impact by doing this, but I need to be absolutely certain.

8.6K Posts

June 6th, 2011 08:00

there is no impact

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2011 17:00

There is absolutely no impact.

86 Posts

June 10th, 2011 06:00

Thanks, everyone. I've added it and there was zero impact as you said. I appreciate your help.

No Events found!