Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2012 14:00

Installs & Upgrades of VNXe

All about the ins and outs of Install and Upgrades of VNXe.

Welcome to the EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss and learn about the ins and outs of Installs & Upgrades of VNXe.

Your hosts:

Probably our largest number of hosts for an Ask the Expert Discussion. For this discussion your experts are:

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-20393-1-50749/200-213/ATE_Glen+_Zannoti.jpg

Glen Zannotti has 28 years invested in the high tech industry having the opportunity to experience positions at small business along with mid to large companies. Throughout this tenor he’s always held positions in customer service with both field and remote support positions. The last 20 yrs has been with EMC and focusing purely in NAS environments for the past 13 years.  His expertise is broad across both block and file storage with an understanding of networks, window and unix environments.  

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/50718/Dinesh-pic.JPG

Dinesh has been with EMC past 3+ years supporting VNXe series products. He is involved with VNXe product since its early pilot stages and is one of the subject matter experts (SME). He has 12+ years of industry experience encompassing Windows Server support, datacenter management and MS Exchange mail support.

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-20371-1-50719/135-175/AA-bio-picture.JPG

Anirudha has been working in the IT industry since 2003 and primarily involved with authoring technical documentation. Prior to joining EMC, Anirudha worked at Oracle where he led and delivered documentation projects for an enterprise suite of applications. His expertise lies in analyzing, mining, and authoring technical information that users can quickly and easily consume. He currently works on the VNXe documentation and recently was involved in the delivery of the Upgrade FAQs document on ECN Forums.

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-20394-1-50750/155-182/alex_stolyar_ate.jpg

Alex Stoylar's career in IT industry started in 1996. Prior to joining EMC in 2000, Alex has been working as System Administrator supporting mostly Microsoft Windows server environment. Alex has joined EMC NAS engineering in 2000 and has been involved in multiple projects supporting NAS products including Celerra, VNX, VNXe. Over last 3+ years Alex is mostly involved in support and development of VNXe series products, and he is currently specializing in System Recovery, CIFS, iSCSI, Deduplication, Replication areas of VNXe.

The Event took place between December 3rd & 14th  -  2012. While the event is concluded, the discussion is available and can continue in the VNXe Support Forum.

666 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 02:00

This discussion is now open. All of our experts look forward to your questions and lively interactive discussion.

Regards,

Mark

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 08:00

Hello Folks,

It's our pleasure to pull a team like this together. Our goal is to increase your baseline knowledge. The Topics being discussed in this thread will surround Installing and Upgrading the VNXe. Please post anything and everything having to do with any aspect of these two topics. This discussion will continue until Dec 14th we encourage the collaborative back and forth dialogue.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 11:00

Hello everyone,

Thanks Glen and Mark for inviting me to this event! We recently posted an Upgrades FAQs document on the VNXe Support Forum at ECN. As part of this effort, we collaborated with a quite a few folks and got some of the frequently asked questions on upgrades answered. Here's the URL: https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-19732.

I learnt a lot from that experience. Looking forward to a great conversation here and an opportunity to answer any open questions or share some knowledge/tips on these two topics.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 5th, 2012 07:00

I'm putting this post out to gain insight to gauge efficiencies with upgrading VNXe. We've seen calls coming into support where there is uncertainty to the completion and status of the upgrade. Many times we're being asked "what is the status of the upgrade and is it progressing", even though progress is being made. We'd like to better understand what circumstances are involved here , and the cause of the uncertainty. 

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

December 6th, 2012 02:00

Hello folks! I'm only here to watch this ATE and get a little tips and hints with VNXe as I've never seen one yet. I primarily deal with VNX and even V-MAX, so I might actually learn something here

8 Posts

December 10th, 2012 11:00

In the several upgrades I've performed on our VNXe, I have often had the feeling of being somewhat lost in the upgrade process. I think this is because of two factors. The first is that while the system reports it is making progress, and has a countdown, the up update period of the status bar and countdown are very slow. It can sit there for server minutes with no indicaiton that anything is changing, resulting in the admin wondering if things are going well, or if the system has stalled. The second factor that can result is confusion as to the status of the upgrade is that when Unipshere fails over between the the two SPs during the upgrade, it can become non-responsive for a period of time, either not allowing me to log in, or falsely reporting the the last status that was on the screen, when in reality that is stale data that needs to be refreshed.

I believe that smoother failover of Unisphere between the SPs, as well as more frequent updates to the status bar would help us know that things have been progressing well, and continuing to progress well. For many of us (at least in my experience) in smaller shops, a single array is the lifeblood of IT holding almost all of our data, so upgrades are a stressfull time, and that is accompanied by a certain degree of time distortion (things seem to be moving very slowly), and constant and reliable reassurance that things are progressing (or a very detailed message of why they're not) is very welcome.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 10th, 2012 12:00

First off thank you for showing interest and please pass the word around this Event is in place. 

We appreciate the input you've provided along with the suggestions being offered. We're kicking these events off for VNXe to enhance the Serviceability of the product. The two areas you've highlighted are what we experience as common concerns during an Upgrade.

Unfortunately I'm sure this has caused some pain and curious to know some steps you've taken either prematurely or as a work around to complete the upgrade.

92 Posts

December 10th, 2012 13:00

I agree with what adimite mentioned.  I have done many software updates and the loss of connectivity to Unisphere is annoying.  That being said, isn't the latest code supposed to use a virtual MAC tha will flow properly during SP failover to help alleviate this issue?

92 Posts

December 10th, 2012 13:00

THat should be failover and not flow.

8 Posts

December 10th, 2012 18:00

To get around Unisphere disconnecting when failing over between SPs, my solution has been to hit refresh until the system starts responding again, which in past upgrades could be some time.

I have no good workaround for the slowly updating progress bar except to worry that it's stalled, and call support if I'm convinced it has. Thankfully, I've only had to call support once, and that time the system had a legitimate problem.

I've noticed that the upgrade process has improved signifigantly since the early days of the VNXe series, but the system could still be more responsive it terms of update frequency and failover response.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 11th, 2012 08:00

Yes Adimite the upgrade functionality has come a long way but still leaving room for improvement. Your points are well taken and documented which will be included in our summary wrap-up  when this event ends.

Do you have enough information to elaborate on the issue where you needed to contact support? I'd like to make sure we close the loop on that .

138 Posts

December 11th, 2012 08:00

In early codes of VNXe actual MAC address of management ports on SPA/SPB were used whenever ECOM (Unisphere Management Service) was running on that SP. That means, whenever ECOM failed over from SPA to SPB it was associated with MAC address of SPB or vice versa.  Though IP address was same, the MAC address was different when ECOM failover happened. This posed a problem in some customer environments where switches are configured with few security features like MAC address filtering. It is something like if Network Admin does not want people to use hub in his network, he will say to switch if it detects multiple MAC addresses in one port, shutdown that port. This is what happens in our case when ECOM fails over. Customer will lose access to Unisphere until Network admin brings up that port.

To alleviate this situation, we associated the ECOM with a virtual MAC address which will not change. Regardless of where ECOM running this virtual MAC will be used for all MGMT communications. Bottom-line, this should not impact the upgrade process. However this change happened only in 2.3.1.20364 code. That means if customer is using any other version is still exposed to problem I mentioned above. Any future upgrades/failover will not affect Unisphere accessibility in MAC address filtering environments.

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

December 11th, 2012 19:00

Experts,

Compared with VNX, there is an additional step for VNXe: license file and need to register on the Internet. It’s a little complex. Why VNXe needs this step?

8 Posts

December 11th, 2012 20:00

I checked the support chat transcript to jog my memory. Upon attempting to upgrade the system, the system reported there wasn't enough memory to install the upgrade. I checked a knowledge base article on that error, and the article suggested rebooting the SP, so I did. The SP never came back up, and I contacted support. I needed to hook up the serial console to get them access to the system, and they performed some magic to get it working again. If it helps, the chat incident number was 477328, and the incident occured on 4/15/2012.

138 Posts

December 12th, 2012 06:00

VNXe is targetted at Small and Medium Business customers. It's simple and ready to configure with minimum installation requirements unlike VNX which requires planning and experienced engineers to implement. Since implementation is not done by EMC, it is left to customers to register and get the license for VNXe. EMC has taken all care to make this process simple. If there are any suggestions to improve or pain-points please feel free to tell us.

No Events found!