Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2015 06:00

Removing a DAE from VNX2

Hi All,

Does anyone know if EMC has a procedure (documents, guides) on how to remove a DAE from a VNX2 series array without disruption to other DAE? I cannot find anything for it in the SolVe Desktop, so makes me think it may not be supported.

Is it actually a supported activity?

Has anyone done this before? If so, on which VNX array, and what steps have you followed?

Any input is appreciated.

March 7th, 2015 14:00

Is the DAE in question on the end of a bus loop ?

If not, then obviously that will be an obstacle.

If it is on the end of a loop (no other DAE looped after it then;

• Remove/Migrate all LUN's, unbind RAID GROUPS, destroy Pools that exist on it only.
  • Remove both backend sas cables from the lcc's
  • Restart management servers on both SP's-- https:// /setup (and for SPB)
  • Verify all faults have been cleared.
  • Power off
  • Remove unrequired DAE

Sometimes SP reboots might be required to clear stubborn faults/alerts.

Also do be careful to make sure there are no pools or FAST CACHE striped vertically across the DAE and others in question, for obvious reasons.

27 Posts

March 10th, 2015 08:00

with VNX2 you can remove DAEs from the middle of the loop, but that requires a power down of the VNX2 first than remove and reconnect to the next DAE in the loop. I haven't done yet, but should be supported.

Also you can move disks around DAEs one at the time, so if you have any unbound disk in another DAE  or empty spaces you can have it moved there, but Hot Spare will kick in if no done in less then 5 minutes. Do one at the time and check each time.

Please Check Article Number:000192009

"With the release of Block OE 05.33.000.5.051 or later, not only do we have the ability to move disks to another DAE enclosure but we can also move entire DAEs to a different location on its bus or relocate it to different bus. "

March 10th, 2015 14:00

Correct Andre, drive and dae mobility can be useful features, but ad_astra stated "without disruption to other dae", so not applicable in this case.

March 12th, 2015 07:00

That is correct, I cannot afford disruption, and need to remove the DAE at the end of the bus loop, not the middle one.

No Events found!