Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2013 09:00

Storage Layout - SAN Boot

We are deploying a VMware server farm (maybe a few single straglers) ad we only have about 41 or so drives. My logic was to createmaybe 2 Storage Pools at most 3. 1 pool of 3 disks (RAID5) for ESXi SAN boot and the rest for another pool for VM's? Not sure if this would be of any benefit, I know I could get more IOps from a larger pool. Should I bother with this type of layout?

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 11th, 2013 12:00

ESX boot LUNs have such low i/o requirements (that's why you can run them of usb sticks). Once the OS is loaded there is not a whole lot going so you could place it in the same pool or a small raid group, use more spindles for your VM datastores.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 17th, 2013 06:00

ierikson wrote:

And will be easier to just assign ESX hosts to your disk pool if you don't have to worry about the individual boot disk's masking.

Ian

should not be an issue if you have 4 vHBAs

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

i got UCS, i am going all out , especially how clunky VNX/Clariion storage groups are when it comes to masking.

You don't need the IOPS - unless you think you are shutting down and starting up all day every day.

I would however keep the disk seperate in its own pool or raid group.  That way you can independently change settings/apply policies and view stats etc...  And will be easier to just assign ESX hosts to your disk pool if you don't have to worry about the individual boot disk's masking.

Ian

**thinks smaller**

No Events found!