Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2011 09:00

VNX 5300 Data Mover Interface Issue

Hello -

I am trying to configure CIFS server/share on the VNX 5300 but to no avail.  When I try to join the server to our domain, I get an error 'could not connect to your domain controller...' 

I've setup one of the interfaces on server_2 data mover and I am able to ping the interface/IP address from any machine on our network.  I am also getting connectivity via ping from within the control station's CLI to any machine on the network.  However, when I do a "server_ping" I can only ping the gateway of the interface on the data mover.  Server_ping to any device on the network from within the control station's CLI (domain controllers, server, PC, etc...) times out. 

I have checked with our networking team and I was told that the port for the data mover looks good and we are not blocking anything internally, even between VLANs. 

Thank you.

8.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2011 10:00

If a server_ping to the domain controller doesn’t work than don’t bother trying to join the domain.

Your data mover network isn’t working correctly for some reason.

Typical mistakes:

- Not setting the data mover default route

- Bad cables

- Bad IP/netmask or VLAN

- Incorrect switch config

Once you can ping the DC then go on to check that NTP is working.

Server_checkup can help you to verify a number of common problems

Rainer

8.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2011 11:00

If you can ping it but cant ping it typically the default gateway or netmask is wrong.

The “ping response” works without valid routing since we use IP reflect – just send it out the interface from which it came from

7 Posts

Thanks for the reply Rainer...

I can ping the interface's IP from any machine on the network which tells me that the network setup (IP, netmask, etc) on the interface is all ok.  Our network group also checked to make sure that the port is configured properly.

I can definitely try the server_checkup next...

Thanks again...

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

are you specifying any particular interface when you are running server_ping ?

No Events found!