Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

January 8th, 2016 05:00

VNX2 SP Cache

With the change in how SP cache and dirty pages are reported on the VNX2, how do I go about knowing if I am "over-running" my cache? VNX1 was pretty clear - several polling cycles at 100% was a pretty good indication of something not right. What is the 100% now since its reported in MB? Should I really be looking at another metric (SP write flushes/s for example) instead of dirty pages? Attached an example day of our VNX8000 for reference. I don't suspect a problem today, disk I/O is low, LUN response time is great, just trying to get in front of this so I know what I should be looking at in the future.

VNX8000 Dirty Pages.PNG.png

4.5K Posts

January 8th, 2016 08:00

First I'd recommend reviewing the White Paper for the VNX2 System cache:

https://support.emc.com/docu48786_White-Paper:-VNX2-MCx---Multicore-Everything.pdf

Next, I'd recommend that when you want to get an idea of the overall performance on the array you could use the Mitrend site - you can submit spcollects and NAR files in a single zip file and get back a very detailed report for the array. I use this when reviewing performance issues on the VNX2:

https://mitrend.com/

When reviewing the NAR files there is no one single metric that you can use to see if the SP's are experiencing issues like we could in the older arrays by looking at the Dirty Pages. Throw in FAST Cache and it's more complicated. Add in the fact that there is now a function called "Host Write Throttling" (which attempts to limit a host from overwhelming the cache) and the process of determining how the array is performing is much more complex.

There are other tools (like Monitoring and Reporting) that can help report issues, but generally it will be the users that will be the first to report issues.

There are also EMC classes available that cover the VNX2 performance.

glen

197 Posts

April 4th, 2016 11:00

Thanks glen. We are using mitrend now, working with our local team to do a review.

Thanks for the insight on the performance class, hadn't noticed it was updated for the VNX2.

No Events found!