Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

June 9th, 2015 14:00

VNXe 3200

We are looking at a VNXe 3200 as a possible replacemnt for our CX4.

Im not that familiar with the physical configuration, but it's my understanding that it's similar in that it has 2x SP's, and each SP has a SAS link to the disk tray. So, some questions....

1) If the SAS link is 6GBit/s, then does the total throughput limited to 12GBit/sec for the array?

2) If we add additional disk trays, do they daisy-chain on the same bandwidth or do I get a boost in the back end bandwidth?

3) The CX4 line had different models supporting different number of back-end fiber loops. Does the same apply to the VNXe?

If so, what are the different models which support higher bandwidth?

I think we would like to get 32 GBit/sec (4x 8Gb front-end FC ports) of bandwidth. What would it take to get that bandwidth (different model or multiple trays or what)?

June 9th, 2015 17:00

1) Each SP has 2x 6Gb/s SAS connections.  12Gb/s throughput per SP.

2) Disk Trays daisy chain after 1st two.  Additional trays share bandwidth.

3) real world performance wise, the 3200 often performs similarly or better to the CX4. It leverages MCx technology to let it really multitask disk operations.  I believe the VNX5200 and 5400 are more of the successor to the CX4 than the VNXe series.   For instance the VNX series have 6Gb/s x4lane and 6Gb/s x8lane to dramatically increase bandwidth.

I believe you should consider the VNX5200 series if you are trying to match your front end to backend performance.   If you only need block, you can order a block-only model -> I find I can get a 5200 for customers with budgets for VNXe models, if the 5200 is a better fit technically.  Some people prefer more customizable VNX, some people prefer the simpler VNXe interface.

** I also would take some time to re-examine whether you even need that much back-end bandwidth.  If you are working with a partner or EMC they can run a Mitrend perf. metrics analysis against your current array and give you info as to current bandwidth usage.   You may be surprised at how little or how much you are using of various front and backend ports. 

ex. http://i1.wp.com/www.pragmaticio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/33ddf.jpg

regards,

Ian

No Events found!