Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2018 09:00

VNXe3100: Format a disk?

Hi! I'm new to VNXe. I've just had a system dropped on me that has had a disk fault. We ordered a replacement disk from our vendor, and they told us that the disk in question was no longer available for purchase, but that they had a replacement that would work. When installing it, the system doesn't see it at all, and thus doesn't rebuild across it.

The vendor has told us that their "EMC guys" have suggested that we need to "format and initialize" the disk. I can find no such option during my brief tour through the Unisphere interface, the Unisphere CLI command reference, or the help page when logged in via SSH.

We're having a few other oddball problems that might simply be due to slightly older system software (2.4.0.20932), but we can't install upgrades to either the system software or the hard disk firmware while the system doesn't pass a health check, so getting the faulted disk(s) successfully replaced seems to be the top priority.

The system is in use, which makes wiping or re-initializing the entire box undesirable.

Does such a function exist? If so, how do I find it? Or is the vendor spinning tales?

• 

7.1K Posts

December 5th, 2018 12:00

Hello irfon-kim,

If your replacement drive doesn’t have an EMC part# on the drive, then it will not be seen by your VNXe3100.  In most cases when running an older flare code on your system and using an EMC replacement HDD the drive will show up.  If the drive doesn’t have an EMC part# on it, then it doesn’t have the EMC firmware on it so that it can be seen by your VNXe3100.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

8.6K Posts

November 29th, 2018 02:00

Does the replacement disk have a sticker with an EMC part number on it ?

3 Posts

December 5th, 2018 12:00

Thanks, both of you! I didn't reply right away because I'm not physically local to the disk, and then I completely forgot to ask the tech in that location to check for me. I've just asked him and will get back to you.

No Events found!