Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2013 09:00

Where to see hot spare equalizing status?

Quick question- Is there somewhere in Unisphere I can see the % of progress on a hot spare equalizing job?

thanks

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 9th, 2013 10:00

I think you can see it from cli for sure, if you looks at properties of hot spare that has kicked in do you see anything interesting ?

38 Posts

April 9th, 2013 12:00

Nope.  Hot spare doesn't show anything other than a status of enabled.  The replacement drive just says equalizing.  I could have sworn back in Navisphere on my CX3 that there was a place where you could see the % progress somewhere. Maybe I am thinking of something else like LUN migration status.  Or maybe you have to look at the SP logs to get a %?  Let me try and get into that

edit: nope not seeing anything in the logs that indicates progress

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

April 11th, 2013 01:00

I think you remember the rebuild status of each LUN. That one you can easily check from the CLI. When  it comes to the equializing part I really don't know. It shouldn't take that long anyway.

4.5K Posts

April 12th, 2013 11:00

getdisk -rb = percent of rebuild on the disk - hot spare or new disk.

getlun -prb = percent of the LUN rebuilt

glen

38 Posts

April 12th, 2013 13:00

dumb question- where do you run getdisk and getlun from?  I tried from the control station shell and it doesn't recognize the commands

4.5K Posts

Sorry, did not realize you have a Unified VNX (the File and Block). The commands are naviseccli commands and are issued against the SP on the array. The Control Station has one IP address and the array has two IP addresses (SPA and SPB). From a workstation you issue the commands to the IP addresses for either SPA or SPB and if you have proxy_arp setup on the array, the commands are passed thru the Control Station to the SP's.

The commands are found in the VNX Command Line Interface (I've attached here). the "getdisk" command is on page 150 and "getlun" on page 167.

glen

1 Attachment

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

/nas/sbin/navicli -h spa

38 Posts

April 12th, 2013 14:00

Hmm... tried this as nasadmin and root

[nasadmin@VNX-CS0 ~]$ /nas/sbin/navicli -h 172.16.154.3 getdisk -rb

Error returned from the Management Server on 172.16.154.3

Authentication failed. Possible reason for failure is excessive failed authentication attempts.

which is kind of a funny error message seeing how that wast he first time I typed that command.

4.5K Posts

April 12th, 2013 14:00

using the naviseccli commands also requires the use of username/password/scope

naviseccli -h 172.16.154.3 -user xyzzy -password xxxx -scopy 0 getdisk -rb

-scope is the type of user - global or local. See page 26/27

glen

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

April 16th, 2013 02:00

cool, thanks

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

May 14th, 2013 01:00

Glen,

I have a disk failure right now and I'm trying to figure out what the rebuild status is. The disk is in a pool and I used the command as you described. The disk is in a pool by the way and it seems the CLI output is different then, since I don't see the status as I would like to see it.

Disk 2_1_4 is the defective one and the hot spare is 3_0_14:

Bus 2 Enclosure 1  Disk 4

State:                   Removed

Bus 3 Enclosure 0  Disk 14

Prct Rebuilt:            8161: 100

In the GUI it shows that the rebuild is still going on. Which of the two should I now trust? In the traditional RAID Groups it is possible to see the rebuild status per LUN, but in pools I can assume that almost all, if not all LUNs in the pool are affected. But then again: where can I see how far the rebuild is at any given moment in time?

4.5K Posts

May 15th, 2013 10:00

Don't know, have not tried the commands on VNX Pool disk when failed. The percent Rebuilt does not appear to be correct.

I'll see if I can fail a disk in the lab and see what the rebuild says.

glen

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

May 17th, 2013 01:00

great, I appreciate that!

It's not a big deal, since I can take a look at the event logs and watch out for an update saying the rebuild is done, but I'd like the GUI and CLI to agree as well

4 Posts

January 27th, 2015 11:00

I realize that this is an old thread but since I found it others may as well. I found the getdisk -rb gave me the answer I was looking the information was mixed in with a great deal of information I was not interested in. So I sifted it with a short perl script. I found it useful. You may as well.

#!/usr/bin/perl

# update credentials and sp hostname

@disks = `naviseccli -user uuuuuu -password pppppp -scope 0 -h spa.yourcorp.com getdisk -rb`;

foreach $line (@disks)

{

if ($line =~ /^Prct Rebuilt:\s+(.*)/)

{

$disklist = $1;

while ($disklist =~ /^\s*(\d+):\s+(\d+)\s*(.*)/)

{

$lunid    = $1;

$pct      = $2;

$disklist = $3;

$luns{$lunid} = $pct if ($pct < 100);

}

}

}

if (%luns)

{

print("Lun rebuild progress\n\n");

foreach $lunid (sort(keys(%luns)))

{

printf("%4d: %3d\n",$lunid,$luns{$lunid});

}

}

else

{

print "All rebuilds are complete\n";

}

29 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 07:00

What I have found is that the naviseccli command works if you enter -all and look for "Prct Copied:" towards the bottom.

But I have also found that looking at the drive in the GUI gives you the same info.

No Events found!