Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2018 08:00

Which storage pool was a failed drive a part of?

Hi All,

I have a failed NL-SAS drive in VNX8000 unified. Its status in Unisphere is "Removed". However I do not see any other Unbound drives to display the Status of "Replacing for disk abc" or something of that nature, which usually pops up when there is a disk failure and a rebuild to a hotspare is in progress: Unisphere > System > Disks

I am wondering why is that? Is that because the failed drive was initially unbound, not part of any storage pool?

Also is there a way to find out which storage pool, RG the failed drive was a part of?

Appreciate your input.

2 Intern

• 

141 Posts

July 26th, 2018 06:00

Hi,

either the disk was previously Unbound, or sparing has already finished. A VNX2 array does not have any fixed spare disks. All Unbound Disks are potential spares. When a disk fails the system selects an appropriate unbound disk and rebuilds to that disk. During this process you should be able to see the status of the rebuild, but once it is finished, the new disk is then permanently part of that RAID-Group / Pool.

You could have a look at older SPcollects to see where that disk was. Usually there is one created every week automatically and it keeps the last few on the SP. (Get Diagnostic Files SPA). The date is in the filename ( _SPA_ _data.zip). Transfer it to your client.

Unisphere Service Manager can use that file to create a system report. Select the "View System Configuration" option and select Choose from Existing reports.

In the output file (XML or XLS), you can select the Available Storage tab (might be under System Profile), which shows you a nice chart of the disks and the RAID config. There's another section which shows all the disks in a pool.

Regards,

Stephen

No Events found!