Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2017 07:00

Questions regarding vplex data migration

1. In "Move data within cluster" wizad, the local device can do 'device migration' and 'extent migration', the distributed devices can only do 'extent migration', why?

2. In "Move data across clusters" wizad, i can not find any device can be migrated, why ?

For local device across clusters migration, Does 'global visible' volume attribute must be set first before it can be migrated ?

For distributed devices, can i migrate one mirror leg from one cluster to another cluster, so two legs are in the same cluster finally ?

3. Can i remove one mirror leg from the distributed devices ? If can, will 'global visible' attribute be continue to maintain on the corresponding virtual volumes, so the hosts in both clusters still have the volume access after cutting one leg?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 03:00

Hi,

1- Device migration between distributed devices are not supported in Vplex.

2- In case that you have all distributed devices, they aren't supported , so you won't find any devices to migrate.

- Yes, you have to set 'global visible' attribute before migration.

- Yes you can migrate one mirror leg from one cluster to another, but in this case this won't be considered as a distrbuited devices. You have to first change it to local device, by detaching the remote leg (The one in the other cluster) And attach the other leg (in the same cluster) to it.

3- Yes you can, and the global visible will continue maintaining on the corresponding virtual volumes.

October 3rd, 2017 07:00

Hi,

Could you explain what you are trying to achieve.... from what i understand, it will be easy to just detach one leg and convert that to local... then you can do a extent migration on one leg or just add another raid-1 leg. may be set visibility to local too if thats what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks,

Sathya

No Events found!