Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2015 12:00

How to Migrate User Roles from Watch4Net to EMC M&R/ViPR

Hello, I hope all is well.

We are currently trying to migrate from one version of Watch4Net to another.  This is not an upgrade we will stand the new version up and then retire the old.  We are migrating from Watch4net v6.2u4 - 43835 to EMC M&R v6.4u2 - 52217.

We have over 100 individual roles created for our users and would like to migrate these roles over to the new system/version.  There does not look to be an export/import in the roles section like there is for reports.

Is there a tool or way to migrate these roles?  Maybe there is a file some were that can be copied over to the new system that houses all of these roles?

Thank you so much for your help,

Stu

9 Posts

January 13th, 2015 11:00

Hi Stu,

normally the upgrade process will take care of this step automatically (for this reason, you will not find a document specifically for this).  If you want to manually "port" this configuration, you have to copy the mysql "master" database from your previous installation, to your new installation (could be simple direct file copy if both database are shutdown, or mysqldump if you are more advanced in database).  More precisely if you are technical with mysql, you can look at the tables and you will see a "role" and "user" table. Those are the ones that need to be copied to your new installation.

I recommend you have all your services stopped (frontend and backends) when you proceed.

Regards

9 Posts

January 13th, 2015 12:00

If you already have data collecting and SolutionPack installed and running, then I don't recommend you copy the full "master" database. This database doesn't contain the data itself, but contain the reports you have.

So what you need is really to copy the users and roles.  The wiki is not the perfect place to give a mysql training, but it is quite simple to manipulate (I recommend always backup before you play with this advanced access).

Here how to see the tables by example (see users, users_profiles, users_roles,...)

echo "show tables;" | ~apg/Databases/MySQL/Default/bin/mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -pwatch4net -P 53306 master

Tables_in_master

RegisteredServiceImpl

SERVICETICKET

TICKETGRANTINGTICKET

documentation

event_mapping

favorites

frontend

locks

module_identifiers

preferences

profiles

report_packs

restricted_features

rights

roles

roles_settings

rs_attributes

scheduling

settings

templates

users

users_profiles

users_roles

8 Posts

January 13th, 2015 12:00

I'm new to MySQL so the easier the better.  I'm trying to replicate these roles from a MySQL Master database that is on a Windows environment version Watch4net v6.2u4 - 43835 to a Master database on a Suse Linux environment version EMC M&R v6.4u2 - 52217.

Could I simply copy the whole master directory from one server to the other?

Does the master database keep any other accounts like accounts to external data sources?  If so our data sources are different in the new environment so that would probably break some stuff.

Ultimately it would be great if we could just export the roles from the old master database and then insert them/add them to the roles of the new master database without overwriting any existing roles or schemas.

Thanks so much for your help.  I hope be able to become confident enough in some MySQL client commands to accomplish this task and not break anything.

No Events found!