Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2014 21:00

ViPR and accessing the data, local drives or mount points

I Am new to ViPR as my company is looking into this software.  We are looking for the best ways to access the ViPR provisioni

ed object level storage specifically on Windows and Linux systems, physical and virtual severs.  I am specifically looking for an API that will allow the operating systems the ability to see the storage as local drives or mount points to provide a connection that would aid our existing support and development tools.  Panzura has been mentioned but not every application can use UNC paths, and local drives or mount points would be ideal.  Documentation states that ViPR is accessible with ATMOS but technicians are telling us that it does not include GeoDrive. 

Are there any reliable APIs for this and can GeoDrive permit ViPR drives to be rendered to Windows and Linux as local drives or mount points?

Any real world knowledge or examples would be great.  Thanks. 

92 Posts

June 11th, 2014 07:00

Hello,

ViPR really has two different components:  ViPR Controller which allows you to provision storage to hosts and ViPR Services for object and other use cases. Would you want to get in touch with us directly so we can best understand your use cases? Please send us your email if that approach is agreeable to you.

Andrew

208 Posts

June 11th, 2014 07:00

This sounds like a very interesting use case. You want object storage that can be directly mounted onto Windows and Linux servers to store and share files.

I'm curious: Why the object requirement? Why not use a traditional NAS like VNX or Isilon?

6 Posts

June 11th, 2014 09:00

ViPR will be part of the platform to assist iin self provisioning of storage and replicating the storage between sites.  ViPR will actually provisioning storage already on our VNX frames.

I am simply looking for APIs to attach the storage to a system in a way that is native to the OS so we do not have to train people or create custom APIs.

92 Posts

June 16th, 2014 05:00

ViPR has a restful API that will allow you to perform many provisioning operations such as provisioning luns, exporting, masking, expanding, etc...  These functions can also be utilized with the included self-service portal and CLI functionality.  You can also perform replication and disaster recovery with RecoverPoint, VPLEX, and SRDF.  You don't need to use the object functionality of ViPR to get replication.  This functionality is built into ViPR controller.    Please let us know if we can help with any other questions.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 16th, 2014 13:00

The ViPR 1.1 doc is available on support.emc.com. Specific API docs are:

https://support.emc.com/docu52074_ViPR-1.1-Controller-REST-API-Developer-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

https://support.emc.com/docu52288_ViPR_1.1_REST_API_Reference.htm?language=en_US

Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Tom Casey

ASD IDD

No Events found!