Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2014 10:00

What monitoring information can I get from ViPR? Do I need the SRM Suite?

ViPR and the SRM Suite seem to provide similar/same capabilities. It is not clear when to use one rather than the other or both.

March 21st, 2014 14:00

Great question! Mark. We often see our users ask this question.

ViPR Solution Pack (ViPR SP) provides a virtual view of the data center to the end user and the SRM product provides a physical view of the data center. In other words, if a use case involves knowing how much capacity is available or used in a Virtual Array or a Virutal Pool, ViPR SP provides that info. On the other hand you would use SRM if a user wants to find out how much capacity is available or used on a physical array.

116 Posts

March 21st, 2014 14:00

Hey thanks for that nice lead in Vinay!

The Storage Resource Management Suite & ViPR really go hand in hand.   First the ViPR SolutionPack appears in the Storage Resource Management Suite when customers have both in their environment.   The suite reports on capacity usage and trends of the underlying storage infrastructure managed by ViPR.  This simplifies forecasting for storage teams and it helps them justify new purchasing processes to their management. 

You know what they say, if you don’t measure it…..  Well, with the suite, it allows our customers to monitor KPIs for the back-end storage infrastructure so that they can see when they’re not meeting service levels.  Customers seem to really love the end-to-end topology reporting within the suite because it helps them understand relationships along the data path so when they have a performance problem, they can analyze it from the host, switch and array perspective.

While my motto is that change is good, that’s not always the case when it comes to your infrastructure.   Change is the source of many issues in the data center, particuarly configuration changes.   The suite allows customers to validate compliance to their own design best practices as well as the EMC Support Matrix to ensure their environment is configured to meet the service levels.

We’ve got some new features that are coming out in our next release that are pretty exciting.  I don't want to let the cat out of the bag so, more on that another time.   Happy Friday everyone!

Paula

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 25th, 2014 13:00

Video Link : 7447

In case anyone wants a visual of how ViPR and SRM work together, here's a video that steps through key ViPR and SRM functionalities.

No Events found!