Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2012 13:00

Distribution of rules and registry variables between vFoglight installations

Hi there!

We are currently responsible for a number of customers vFoglight installations. I'm wondering if there's an more automated way to manage the vFoglight rules & registry variables (RV) (Alarms). Many of the default rulesettings are questionable. I'm looking for a solution where you can package all your customized rules and RV and then deploy these settings on other vFoglight installations.

I looked through the vFoglight 6.7 command-line reference guide http://us-downloads.quest.com/Repository/support.quest.com/vFoglight/6.7/Documentation/Management%20Server/vFoglight_CommandLineReference.pdf

There on page 119 I found the configexport utility command (Exporting or Importing a monitoring policy). I've previously been told that if you only keep the changes you made in e.g. in the rules you could distribute these across differrent vFoglight installations, is this correct? Is there anyone who has created a script for this in the community?

I have learned that best practice to manage individual rules and registry variables is to copy each rule and RV in the UI and then configure the new rule with the new RV in the rule editor.

To do this is a very repetetive task. Is there any supported/unsupported way of automating this? Also is it possible to distribute these customized rules & RV between vFoglight installations, automating it even further?

Thanks in advance!

Erik Alm

Repetetive procedure #1

rulemanagementCopy.png

Repetetive procedure #2

regisrtyVariableCopy.png

Repetetive procedure #3

ruleEditor.png

Edit

I have know exported a monitoring policy from commandlline with teh command:

fglcmd.bat -usr foglight -pwd -srv -port 443 -ssl -cmd util:configexport -f policy.xml

When I later imported a policy.xml where I'd deleted all content except for I rule with the command

fglcmd.bat -usr foglight -pwd -srv -port 443 -ssl -cmd util:configimport -f policynew.xml

The rule was changed!

if (@event.isSet("report/errorMessage")) {
return @event.get("report/errorMessage");
} else {
return "Report " + @event.get("report/reportName") + " run on " + @event.get("report/dateRun") + " is attached. THIS IS A TEST 20121114 Erik Alm";
}

The only question is

1. If I delete all content instead of 1 rule like above nothing else is changed

2. If a problem arise because of a "bad" policy import, can it be solved with an import of the backup policy?

3. Is it possible/safe to distribute policy setting like this, changing multiple rules/RVs across different vFoglight installations? With other words you have I configfile to change rulesetting in multiple installations? (If they are the same fms version ofcourse)

4. If the rule/RV is not created/copied before this is done, are these rules/RVs created?

5. Have anyone done this before and created a script that they'd like to share?

Thanks again!

Erik Alm

Edit 2

It seems that it is possible to import new rules and have them appear in the rule management dashboard with the possibility to enableling them. A interesting bug is that they dissapear from the new data management dashboard but are viewable in the legacy rule management dashboard.

1. Anyone know if the legacy rule management dashboard are going to be removed any time soon?

13 Posts

November 14th, 2012 12:00

I've learned that there's a specific cartridge for this purpose named fglIDE. I've installed and tested this in our product environment. It's definetly a great feature and we could really use this.

My regards to Stefan Marx for developing this!

But I wonder this is going to be included in Foglight APM Solution?

From http://fglide.apmcentral.org/downloads/

Disclaimer

This Software is provided as Freeware Tooling and it's not part of the Foglight APM Solution or shipping. It's not officially supported but if you have concerns or Questions please use the Foglight Community to post these or fill a Github Issue

Or does Quest Software have a similar solution that is supported?

Thanks in advance

73 Posts

November 14th, 2012 13:00

Erik,

This functionality will be available in a future version of (v)Foglight core and thus fully supported. I don´t know in what release and when it will be available at the moment.

I´m recommending fglide as it easiest and most flexible. But if you must have Quest support then you have to use fglcmd export and import.

/Mattias

No Events found!