Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2008 21:00

AVG antivirus vs Trend Penicillin

I have a Dell Dimension E510 with XP Windows media edition.

I just went to upgrade my free AVG anti-virus from 7.5 to 8.0 and was told that I already had an

antivirus program installed and that they recommend that I uninstall that program.

S ure enough - I also have Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security (8.0.1001/3.421.00).  ? maybe came

with Comcast internet service?  I had a free trial when I originally purchase my computer in 2005 - but

I never activated it as I was told to stay with the free AVG anti-virus.

Which one should I un-install?

Thank you. 

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 19th, 2008 22:00

The trial is obsolete if it is three years old and has never been used. I would remove TM software and stay with AVG.
Check with Trend Micro's support site regarding removal instructions
Message Edited by Bugbatter on 06-19-2008 07:42 PM

130 Posts

June 20th, 2008 01:00

Thank you.  I was successfully able to remove the Trend pc-illin antivirus software. 

However, now I don't have any anti-virus as when I tried to upgrade to AVG 8 - 3/4 of the way through

installation it stopped responding.  I tried doing it again & it stopped responding again.  The only way I could 

shut down my computer after this happened was by pushing the button to power it down.

when i go to add/remove programs - avg 8 is there.  do you think i could try removing AVG8 this way and try

all over again.

I went to grisoft web site - but i don't think you can get any support for the free download so I'm stuck.

I would welcome any suggestions that you might have.

Thank you. 

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 20th, 2008 02:00

If you really want AVG 8, you could try removing it and re-installing to be sure you have all of it, or you could remove AVG and install Avast (another free anti-virus that is excellent) or Avira AntiVir. Several of the regulars here who used to use AVG 7 decided to go with Avast or Avira AntiVir rather than AVG 8. The links to these and other software is in the "Free Security Software" announcement at the top of this forum.
Message Edited by Bugbatter on 06-19-2008 11:28 PM

130 Posts

June 20th, 2008 09:00

Thank you so much for the good advice.  I think I will try the Avast.  I have always gone with AVG

since it was so highly recommended - but Avast also sounds like a good choice.  Better than McAfee which I

get through my internet carrier.

Once again you have been very helpful.  I have appreciated all the help you have provided to me in

the past. 

Keep up the good advice & have a nice day:-)

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 20th, 2008 15:00

You're welcome. I think you will be happy with Avast free edition. I am :)

130 Posts

June 20th, 2008 23:00

I just installed Avast anti-virus and got the following message:

Avas! has detected that you are currently using

ZoneAlarm firewall.

We have found out that the avast! WebShield module has compatibility problems

with the ZoneAlarm's privacy blocking features.

This may result in some web pages not loading properly or an inabiiity to log on to

certain sites (Yahoo mail, etc) We are working with ZoneLabs to find a viable solution.

Meanwhile, we recommend turning off the transparent proxy mode of the WebShield

module which is known to be the cause of the conflict.  You will still be able to use

WebShield with ZoneAlarm by manually configuring your brower (described below)

Do you want to disable the WebShield transparent proxy mode? (select "No" only if you

are not using ZoneAlarm's privacy blocking features or have been using avast! with

ZoneAlarm without any problems. 

How do I know if I am using the privacy blocking feature?  What do I look for?  I tried to look at Zone

Alarm - but could not tell what it includes.  

I have the free version available to download.

Thank you.

I don't know if it makes a difference on what web browser I use - but I use both Internet Explorer (only when I have to) & Moxilla Firefox.  The instructions for manually configuring my browser are both for Internet Explorer and a separate video for Moxilla firefox. 

130 Posts

June 21st, 2008 00:00

that's what I was thinking also.  My other concern was changing the internet setting to a proxy server - but

after talking to my brother - I feel comfortable doing this.

Thanks again for the advice. 

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 21st, 2008 00:00

If I am interpreting the chart correctly, I think the Privacy Blocking is available only on the paid version of ZA.
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?lid=ho_za

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

June 21st, 2008 02:00

I'm using the combination of Avast Free, ZA Free, IE 7, and Firefox 3.0. I have not had any problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well for you, too.
No Events found!