Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 21st, 2017 16:00

Adobe Reader 11 - End of Life 10/15/2017

I just noticed that Adobe Reader XI (11) has reached its "end of life" on 10/15/2017 ----  "security updates, technical support, and bug fixes are no longer available".  

Users are encouraged to upgrade to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC   https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(Be sure to UNcheck any pre-checked "additions", unless you really want them.)

=======================================

https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/faq.html

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software is the free, trusted standard for viewing, printing, signing, and annotating PDFs. It's the only PDF viewer that can open and interact with all types of PDF content – including forms and multimedia. And now, it’s connected to Adobe Document Cloud – so you can work with PDFs on computers and mobile devices.

5.8K Posts

October 21st, 2017 23:00

Just a few observations.

It was only a few years ago (2010) when Adobe Reader was reported as the largest software application to be targeted by malware. And as recently as 2013 Adobe was reporting serious hacks compromising privacy of millions of customers. But it has been a while since I've seen any concerns about the various Adobe Reader versions in recent years. A quick internet search on this topic confirms this. Presumably Adobe has cleaned up its act, and homeusers keeping its reader updated is sufficient.

That said, I switched to the free PDF reader from Sumatra years ago. Sumatra was such a smaller target than Adobe, which was pre-installed on just about every new PC. I never regretted making Sumatra my default pdf reader. It continues to serve me well.

I do have need to use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to fill out/submit certain work-related forms, but to simply read pdf files I still use Sumatra.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 07:00

I decided to "upgrade" to DC at work... after UNchecking all the unwanted pre-checked offers, I downloaded and SAVED the installer, and then ran it.

Adober Reader XI was automatically UNinstalled first.   Then DC was installed to replace it.

Other than a somewhat new look to the user interface, the only thing to note is that ALL PREFERENCES were (re-)set to their defaults... i.e., any customized preferences that I had "tweaked" in Reader XI over several years were lost :-(

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

November 13th, 2017 06:00

As another Adobe Reader update is expected tomorrow 11/14, I finally got around to upgrading from Reader 11 to Reader DC on my primary home system.

I already noted above that none of my preferences from Reader 11 were transferred to Reader DC... I had to manually tweak things, as best as I could recall.

For what it's worth, it seems the DC installer program cannot be renamed (it balked and refused to run when I tried to do so), and furthermore, "self-destructs" after it is run (shades of "Mission Impossible" ;-) )

Also, there is no longer a preference to set the update mechanism... it automatically sets up a scheduled task to do so.   (I suppose one could use task-scheduler to disable it...)

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 13th, 2017 13:00

Also, there is no longer a preference to set the update mechanism... it automatically sets up a scheduled task to do so.   (I suppose one could use task-scheduler to disable it...)

That's what I did.

No Events found!