Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2010 13:00

Can't Do A Search.

I've got two problems with both my wife's(Dimension 8400) and my computer(Precision T3400). We're running WIN XP SP3 and IE8 and FF 3.6.3. At the link below when we do a search both our computers and both browsers continually search without timing out and completing the search. The same problem occurs at Barnes & Noble when we try to add something to our Cart. We did contact B&N and their reply was, "it's not our problem". However, my wife's netbook running Windows 7 Starter and IE 8 both web sites work like a charm. I have disabled my firewall and pop up blockers and disabled my virus software and I still have the same problem. I have done scans with SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D and came up clean. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this problem but have run into a brick wall.

If you are running IE 8 and go to the link, just type in 01201 for the zip code and click on "Search Registrants" at the bottom and see if it works for you. LINK

Thanks,

Warren

5.8K Posts

April 23rd, 2010 04:00

Hi Warren- LTNS!

The link and zip code worked for me immediately, using XP sp3 and IE8.

I'm not sure what to suggest. You might want to check with your ISP, to see if they are filtering your browsing somehow.

Joe

501 Posts

April 23rd, 2010 06:00

Hi joe- Good hearing from you, hope alls been well.

joe said :"You might want to check with your ISP, to see if they are filtering your browsing somehow."

If this were true wouldn't it affect my wife's netbook in the same way as our other computers ?

Warren

501 Posts

April 23rd, 2010 07:00

I just now got it figured out. I installed a new virus program a while back and never ran into this situation till now. What I had to do was add these two sites to a list of trustworthy sites so that the virus softwares "WebFilter" rules would not be applied. The virus software I'm using is GData and I'm not quite used to it's functions yet. Thanks for replying joe.

5.8K Posts

April 23rd, 2010 15:00

Thanks for the solution, Warren.

G Data gets good reviews (high detection rates, few false positives), uses both Avast and BitDefender AV engines, and updates hourly. I'm surprised we don't hear more about it.

You might want to watch this video review (28 minutes) on using G Data 2010, by an expert trusted hereabouts:
http://www.youtube.com/mrizos#p/u/26/lqQAiLzk57s

Best regards

Joe

No Events found!