Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 16th, 2014 03:00

Change antivirus

After trying the 30 days  free McAfee antivirus that comes with New Dell Venue 11 pro, is it possible to change and buy a different antivirus?

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

October 16th, 2014 09:00

There are several FREE antivirus programs available. Other forum members can give you more information about them. I use Avira, which has had excellent reviews, but is gradually falling out of favor with me...keeps wanting me to upgrade to the paid version, and doesn't have a decent support forum or a direct way to contact them. Am thinking of changing.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

October 16th, 2014 14:00

I'm assuming a "New Dell Venue 11 pro" is running Windows 8 (or 8.1)???   If so, simply uninstalling your trial version of McAfee should automatically activate Windows Defender (the "default" anti-virus program under Windows 8, supplied by Microsoft).   If you find that satisfactory, you can continue to use it.

If you prefer something else, you can download/install another anti-virus.   There are some good free ones (Avast, Panda, and others, including Avira as mentioned by Dalem29).   And if you insist, you can purchase a paid program --- that's your call --- but paid is not necessarily better than free.

5.8K Posts

October 16th, 2014 16:00

Hi fiorellas:

I think I'm in good company here when I say there is no "best" antivirus. Like ky331 and dalem 29 I favor the free AVs already mentioned. If pushed I would admit to using Panda Free Cloud AV currently, but have used all the others mentioned (plus a host of other paid AVs over the years). Windows AV solutions are free, simple, and have guaranteed compatability with your system, but do not score as well as others in independent tests at detecting malware. On the flip side, I've seen many AVs falsely detect/delete system critical files that effectively trashed one's system. (Not often, but that's a high price to pay). A Windows AV is almost unknown to falsely detect one of its own files.

I'm not convinced the paid AVs add value, and I generally dumped them when they gave me grief. (bloat, complexity, alerts, false positives, bundled/unwanted software). But none of them ever allowed significant infection of any of my systems. So it's a bit of a trade-off.

Good luck!

1 Message

January 28th, 2018 16:00

i have purchase Norton from norton.com/setup for my dell laptop still mcafee gives me pop up to renew it

5.8K Posts

January 28th, 2018 18:00

Hi

Changing your anti-virus is not a trivial process. Simply uninstalling the old one via control panel often is not enough to thoroughly remove all its traces and nags. Most AV vendors have an uninstall tool to completely remove the product. McAfee's is called "McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool."

If you Google "How to remove McAfee products from a PC running Windows" you will find the McAfee site to download this free tool. I would give you the link, but the forum software is currently blocking me.

No Events found!