Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2011 15:00

Executable won't run, qdm

I was running antivirus software and supposedly it removed a malware called qdm.exe, but my executable files wont run, and my file associations are not working either. Its frustrating because I have everything backed up on a Western Digital external drive, but I can't run their software to restore. I had a restore point in Vista, but was reading a 3rd party site that said to turn off restore on startup, so I did, and now my restore point is gone when I go into the restore center. (Where does Windows keep it?) I also have everything backed up on my D drive, but Windows doesn't let you copy the system32 registry files!! The antivirus software deleted the problem file from the C:\\users\myname\ Appdata\local directory, but now no programs will run. So the problem isn't containing the malware, it's getting restored. I tried the MS support site suggestion to recopy the registry by doing REG IMPORT reg.exe, but that didn't solve the issue either. I'm sorry but I cannot run the HijackThis executable even. I tried running it even from the Task Manager, File\New Task(Run) menu; no luck.

20.5K Posts

June 27th, 2011 16:00

Welcome to Dell Community.

Just a word before we get started:  For anyone reading this topic, turning off System Restore before or during cleaning malware is not a good idea. You found that out the hard way. Your restore points are gone. Lesson learned. We shall move on.

Questions:

What anti-virus removed the malware?

When the infection was on your system, what type of symptoms did you have? Your answer to this will determine our procedure.

Do you have access to another computer so you can use that to download files to a CD or USB stick?

4 Posts

June 28th, 2011 11:00

The anti-virus was AVG and it said it quarantined the file QDM.exe. When I ran any executable, the file associations pop-up window would ask what program to "Open With". Then when I selected a program it ask to save or download the file, which of course I didn't need to do, because all the programs were already on my hard drive. I downloaded Firefox aagain, and got that browser to run, that's it.

The good news is Microsoft gave me a patch and my programs run normally again. But I am nervous about whether other files were corrupted and could reinfect my pc. I do have access to another computer, which I am using now to type this. And yes I have a USB stick and can do file copies. But I could not even run the command prompt at the Start button. Everything was really dead. Now it's back in action.

20.5K Posts

June 28th, 2011 13:00

That's good news. As long as you are running better, we can do some diagnostic scans to see if anything else turns up.

* Make sure System Restore has been enabled. If necessary, we will flush System Restore when we are finished cleaning and we are sure that everything is running smoothly.

* If you are using any cracked software, please remove it. In addition to being illegal, when you install cracked software, you are running executable files from dubious, unknown sources. You are giving these sources access to information on your hard disk, and potential control over operation of your computer. Definition of cracked software HERE.

* If you are using any P2P (file sharing) programs, please remove them before we clean your computer.  The nature of such software and the high incidence of malware in files downloaded with them is counter productive to restoring your PC to a healthy state. That includes BitTorrent and similar programs. There is a partial list HERE.    

* Please be aware that if your issue involves Windows error codes the chances of resolution may be slim because some of these infections corrupt .exe files. The presence of windows error codes may also indicate hardware problems and could limit the success of infection removal.

* If this computer belongs to someone else, do you have authority to apply the fixes we will use?

* After we begin working, please print or copy all instructions to Notepad in order to assist you when carrying out procedures. Please follow all instructions in sequence. Do not, on your own, install/re-install any programs or run any fixes or scanners that you have not been instructed to use because this may cause conflicts with the tools that I am using. Please note that these fixes are not instantaneous. Most infections require more than one round to properly eradicate. It is understood by the trained analysts that once a helper replies to a log, he continues working with you until the issue is resolved.

* During the course of our cleanup please do not do any additional online work or surfing until we have verified that your system is clean.

* We may be using some specialized tools during our fix. Certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized fix tools such as process.exe, restart.exe, SmiUpdate.exe, reboot.exe, ws2fix.exe, prcviewer.exe and nircmd.exe may at times be detected by some anti-virus/anti-malware scanners as a "RiskTool", "Hacking tool", "Potentially unwanted tool", or even "malware (virus/trojan)" when that is not the case. Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user or administrator has knowingly installed it. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. *Please note also that not all of our tools work on 64-bit systems, so we may be limited in our procedures.

(ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
(use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
(either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
(the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.

If there is a problem after making changes to the system, to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

In addition. we need to see some additional information about what is happening in your machine.

Please download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

-----------------------------------------------------

• Copy/paste both logs to your reply on the forum. Do not attach them.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.

Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE.

No Reply within 3 days will result in this topic being closed, and I will remove it from my subscriptions. If you require more time, please let me know.

Instructions posted for this user are customized for this user only. The tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections. If you think you have similar problems, please post a log at the top of this board to start a new forum topic.

4 Posts

June 30th, 2011 10:00

I got the ERUNT, no time to do today but will tomorrow, thanks. Here is my log file from yesterday:

Copyright (c) 1990 - 2006 Trend Micro Inc.

Report Date : 10/3/2008 20:03:07

VSAPI Engine Version : 8.700-1004

VSCANTM Version : 2.00-1000 (Official Build)

VSGetVirusPatternInformation is invoked

Virus Pattern Version : 573 (305338/341915 Patterns) (2008/09/30) (557350)

VSGetVirusPatternInformation is invoked

Virus Pattern Version : 691 (36577/341915 Patterns) (2008/09/24) (69100)

Command Line: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TVScan32.exe -S -SSAPTN -VSSPYWARE+ -c -d2 -I -LC=C:\Users\Laura\Desktop\Virus Scan.log C:\ D:\ E:\

4 Posts

June 30th, 2011 10:00

Lets try that agian...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4

Scan saved at 7:30:45 PM, on 6/27/2011

Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.19088)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAAnotif.exe

C:\Windows\System32\WLTRAY.EXE

C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe

C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe

C:\Program Files\Sigmatel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe

C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\DellTPad\ApMsgFwd.exe

C:\Program Files\DellTPad\HidFind.exe

C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apntex.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe

C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = go.microsoft.com/fwlink

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = go.microsoft.com/fwlink

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = go.microsoft.com/fwlink

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = go.microsoft.com/fwlink

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL

O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\Dell\BAE\BAE.dll

O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\YTSingleInstance.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Veoh Web Player Video Finder - {0FBB9689-D3D7-4f7a-A2E2-585B10099BFC} - C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\VeohWebPlayer\VeohIEToolbar.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\Windows\system32\WLTRAY.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCSSync] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\BCSSync.exe" /DelayServices

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105

O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.ncesc.com

O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5) - upload.facebook.com/.../FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll

O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - gfx2.hotmail.com/.../VistaMSNPUplden-us.cab

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - fpdownload2.macromedia.com/.../swflash.cab

O18 - Protocol: intu-help-qb2 - {84D77A00-41B5-4B8B-8ADF-86486D72E749} - C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2009\HelpAsyncPluggableProtocol.dll

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll

O18 - Protocol: qbwc - {FC598A64-626C-4447-85B8-53150405FD57} - mscoree.dll (file missing)

O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll

O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\aestsrv.exe

O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe

O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: QBCFMonitorService - Intuit - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exe

O23 - Service: Intuit QuickBooks FCS (QBFCService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\FCS\Intuit.QuickBooks.FCS.exe

O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe

O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\STacSV.exe

O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe

O23 - Service: WDDMService - WDC - C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WD Drive Manager\WDDMService.exe

O23 - Service: WD File Management Engine (WDFME) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\Front Parlor\WDFME\WDFME.exe

O23 - Service: WD File Management Shadow Engine (WDSC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\Front Parlor\WDSC.exe

O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe

20.5K Posts

June 30th, 2011 12:00

After you post your DDS logs, before we have you download anything else please run this online scan scan here:
http://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
This scan works best with IE. Alternate browsers require downloading and installing the ESET Smart Installer.
•    Accept the Terms of Use:
•    Approve the install of the required ActiveX Control, then follow on-screen instructions. 
*  Disable the protection of your resident anti-virus program after installing the
active X control that Eset has installed and again when you actually start scanning.
•    Make sure enable (check) the Remove found threats option is checked, and run the scan.
•    After the scan completes, the Details tab in the Results window will display what was found and removed. A record of these results will be found here: C:\program files\esetonlinescanner\log.txt.  Please include a copy of that log in your next reply along with a fresh HijackThis log.
This online scan may take quite a bit of time to complete so please be patient. If necessary, allow the scan to run overnight. Please do not use the machine to do anything else (e.g. browse; check email; chat) until the scan completes.

** ESET Online Scanner works in Windows Vista and Windows 7, provided you
first start Internet Explorer as an Administrator. To do so,
right-click on the Internet Explorer icon in the Start Menu and select
"Run as administrator" from the popup context menu.

20.5K Posts

July 7th, 2011 20:00

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.

No Events found!