Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2007 15:00

How do I uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005

I purchased two separate retail boxed versions of Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2005 and have them installed on two different computers at my church.  Recently, I had to replace a hard drive on one of the computers.  After I reinstalled the NIS 2005 software on the new hard drive, I realized that I had mistakenly installed the wrong boxed version, so I had the same software installed on both computers.  I used the Norton uninstall tool to remove the wrong software, and reinstalled the correct software from the Norton installation CD.  During the reinstall, I noticed that I was not prompted to enter the a product key.  After the successful installation, I checked the product key using the Norton "Help" menu.  The product key still showed the number from the original "incorrect" installation.  Apparently the Norton uninstall tool doesn't really do a thorough job of removing NIS.  Is there a way to do a complete unistall of NIS 2005?  Thanks.

Message Edited by Jebest11 on 06-25-2007 11:55 AM

2 Intern

• 

887 Posts

June 25th, 2007 20:00

well, does live update work on both pc's,and is the expiration date ok on both?  if so, just leave them alone if it works ok.  You have 2 valid licenses anyhow.  I would consider moving to 2007 3-license version, as it is better and lighter on resources, imo. 

3.3K Posts

June 26th, 2007 15:00

I'm going to stick my neck out on this one...It seems to me that the software would not (at least, it should not) be written to include the individual registration code for each copy of the same software. In other words, you should be able to install the software on both computers using the same CD. The only difference you need to be concerned with is the registration number. It's those numbers that software authors keep track of...not the CD's.

The only cautionary measure written into the software is the inability to use the software if a valid registration number has not been entered.

However, this is Symantec we're talking about and how they write their software has been an issue taking up an incredible sum of bandwidth on forums all over this world wide web...so, that said, I could be dead wrong, but you should at least try this:

If you had previously registered both copies and you now need to re-register the latest installation due to the fact that you had installed a new hard drive then look to the other computer's Symantec product installation to ascertain which registration number you used.

Now, go to the other computer (with the new hard drive) and register that installation of the Symantec product using the only other registration number you should have. The product having been installed using what you think was the wrong CD should not make any difference. What MAKES the difference is the registration number. If all you have handy is what you think is the CD that you used to install on the other computer, you should still be able to use it to reinstall the same software on THAT computer (with the new hard drive).

To sum this up, you bought two boxes of the exact same software...and you should have as the intent is to install them on two different computers. However, it should not be necessary to keep the two different CD's separate...you only need to keep the registration numbers separate. After successful installation, just keep the registration number you used with the computer where it's installed.

Post back and let us know your results.
No Events found!