Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2008 22:00

How to change your Anti-virus

This is an excellent review of how to properly remove your present AV prior to installing a new one, as well as links to several AV uninstall tools. Kudos to Bill Castner, MS-MVP.

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=190176#p190176

2 Intern

• 

966 Posts

June 2nd, 2008 23:00

Hi Joe,hows it going

Do you thing using ccleaner will suffice as a substitute for "antivir registry Cleaner"

5.8K Posts

June 3rd, 2008 00:00

Hi tomron, nice to hear from you~

I did have the trial version of the paid AntiVir installed as a backup AV, and had no problem uninstalling it via Add/Remove Programs recently. I did not find any need for their registry cleaner tool.

I do use CCleaner on a regular basis, but tend to shy away from its registry cleaner. I just now ran a CCleaner registry scan, and found no references to AntiVir. I presume it is fully uninstalled.

2 Intern

• 

966 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 01:00

Thanx Joe,I figured using a reg cleaner might be an overkill.

Tom 

2 Intern

• 

966 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 01:00

Duplicate post by mistake.

Tom

Message Edited by tomron on 06-02-2008 10:19 PM

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2008 12:00

Thanks for the link Joe. I found out a few days ago that removing an AV might not be as simple as it may seem.

282 Posts

June 7th, 2008 00:00

I didn't see CA internet security 2007 listed among the programs with special removal tools.

I'm getting ready to remove it and looking to install Comodo firewall, Avast anti-virus, and A2 anti-malware as I haven't seen any indication that they don't work with Firefox and/or Eudora.

Does CA require any special removal other than using Add/remove programs in XP?  My subscription expired a few days ago.

Want to make sure I'm ready with all ducks in a row before I start the process so I don't get hung up in the middle with the computer only partly protected.

Message Edited by KathiMR on 06-06-2008 06:13 PM

5.8K Posts

June 7th, 2008 01:00

CA Internet Security fortunately requires no special uninstall tools. Full removal instructions are here:

http://homeofficekb.ca.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=2737&Preview=0&Return=0&GUID=3FB8283149784A4C86DC254CBE647714

... and a video specific to CA 2007 is here:
http://homeofficekb.ca.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=2909&Preview=0&Return=0&GUID=B92A0E433B944EFD958A7814A88E097B

Comdo Firewall, Avast, and a-squared all co-existed nicely with at least Firefox for me. Can't comment on Eudora since I haven't used it.

I would suggest you consider Comodo version 2.4 rather than 3.x, since it is the more user friendly version. You can get 2.4 here:
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html#fw2.4

282 Posts

June 7th, 2008 20:00

One question is that I'm wondering how a person is to know whether the anti-virus and other security software that is supposed to scan email works with non-Microsoft email programs.  I try to avoid MS software when another suitable alternative is available--that is part of my security system as it seems that the MS software is what is most likely to be attacked--either because it is the big target and/or because it has vulnerabilities that others don't.  And I don't know how much its due to either reason.

I didn't see any comments either way about whether the software works with programs besides outlook or outlook express.

As far as the versions of Comodo, could you elaborate a bit?  Their website at the link you provided touts the newer version as providing additional protection and an improved user interface.  And not having used either one, I don't know the difference.

I do know that I haven't particularly liked CA and it got worse when they switched to their own firewall.  Norton I think was somewhat easy to use but of course bloated and both of those sometimes changed the firewall rules to block either my email or browser and I didn't realize for a day or so why I couldn't use them.  I thought maybe my isp was having difficulty or something.

And CA seems to frequently not be able to handle large email downloads so it will block them--only it isn't obvious that is what is happening except that my isp had suggested turning off the firewall. So I do that when it won't finish downloading, and then it will.  Only that is a nuisance and one time I forgot to turn it back on. Their anti-virus at least has a timer so it will automatically turn back on after an amount of time you enter. 

No Events found!