Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 18:00

Im back and have a question

What do yall think about the new Ad-Aware Annervisery edtion? I think its ok but like the fact that it loads up faster then previous versions and cons are that it takes up more resources. Anyone else agree?

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 18:00

I removed Ad-ware long ago because I was seeing problems with detection and removal. I'm happy with MBAM so I won't be installing Ad-aware again anytime soon.

508 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 20:00

I removed Ad-ware long ago because I was seeing problems with detection and removal. I'm happy with MBAM so I won't be installing Ad-aware again anytime soon.

I think im going to stick back with Ad-Aware 2008. I restored the backups that Ae found and uninstalled it and restarted. And then installed 08 back and updated and restarted then AE removes the 5 files that i restored. I am no longer trusting Lavasoft when 08 expires.

These are the files it found.

escription: C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\Hiv-backup\ERDNT.EXE Family Name: Suspicious Object Clean status: Success Item ID: 0 Family ID: 0
Description: C:\WINDOWS\NIRCMD.exe Family Name: Suspicious Object Clean status: Success Item ID: 0 Family ID: 0
Description: C:\WINDOWS\SWREG.exe Family Name: Suspicious Object Clean status: Success Item ID: 0 Family ID: 0
Description: C:\WINDOWS\SWSC.exe Family Name: Suspicious Object Clean status: Success Item ID: 0 Family ID: 0
Description: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DivX.dll Family Name: Suspicious Object Clean status: Success Item ID: 0 Family ID: 0

5.8K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 23:00

Against my better judgement, I downloaded and installed Ad-Aware's Anniversary Edition (AE). I too had given up on AAW long ago after a high "grief factor" with the 2007 and 2008 editions.

First of all, AE Free is a 33 MB download (compared to 18 MB for AAW 2008, or 2.6 MB for MBAM). Why the bloat for an on-demand scanner?

Secondly, it self-importantly inserted itself into my startup. Since the free edition I downloaded has no real-time scanning, this is superfluous. More useless junk loading at startup. Lots of AE phoning home though, according to my firewall.

Finally,  an AE scan detected 22 "Suspicious objects" which were all ERUNT registry backups (ERDNT.exe files) including the one I made just prior to installing AE. I don't think so!

Bottom line: I uninstalled AE, and restored my registry with ERUNT. Good riddance. No more AAW for me.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

February 4th, 2009 06:00

While I agree with BB and Joe here (I very quickly downloaded and tested AA AE... and got rid of it just as quickly)... in fairness to people who might be considering it, I feel compelled to correct one mis-statement:   AA AE now claims to include Ad-Watch Live! BASIC -- Real-time malware protection optimized for home users:   "Real-time process protection blocks malicious processes and infected programs that try to start or run on your system".

Regardless, I will not be using it.

5.8K Posts

February 4th, 2009 16:00

Thanks for that catch, ky331. I shouldn't do quick trials after midnight!

Doesn't change my mind, of course.

February 21st, 2009 09:00

Maybe my copy of AAW was blessed by Obama because unlike previous versions, it runs on my system.  To avoid autostart, turn off realtime monitoring of malicious sites.

No Events found!