Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2008 13:00

Outlook 2002 address error message

When I first open Outlook 2002 I get the following message:

A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook.  Do you want to allow this?  If this is unexpected it may be a virus and you should choose "No".  The choices are Yes (allow access for 1,2,5, 10 minutes) or No.

When I choose No the message pops up another 10 times (so a total of 11 times).  I have 11 addresses stored in my contacts so it appears to be trying to access each of my addresses. 

How do I know what program is trying to access the addresses?  How do I know if it is a virus (my virus scan hasn't picked anything up) or if its just some setting I need to adjust?

Any help would be appreciated. 
Thanks!

In the software forum it was suggested this may be spyware...any thoughts on this??

336 Posts

May 14th, 2008 20:00

if you google A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook it shows a number of legitimate programs that interact with outlook could be causing it, access task manager before opening outlook. are there any other processes starting as well as outlook? to rule out malware you could follow these steps:

Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from  Here orHere

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.

The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)

The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Copy&Paste the entire report into a New Message on the HijackThis board. Also include a fresh HijackThis log. Instructions for downloading HijackThis are at the top of that forum.
By having a review there, we can be sure vulnerabilities have been addressed
1. Just click the New Message button in the HijackThis forum here:
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=si_hijack
to start your own thread requesting assistance for a follow-up check to be sure the malware is gone.
2. In the Message Body window that opens, simply Right-Click and select Paste.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Message Edited by melboy on 05-14-2008 04:52 PM

5.8K Posts

May 14th, 2008 21:00

I agree with running an MBAM scan first to help rule out malware.

The message alert cannot distinguish between legitimate apps (such as PDA's) and malware trying to access Outlook.

If the scan is negative, and you are experiencing no other problems, one thing you can safely try is to disable Outlook add-ins:
- Open Outlook
- Click on Tools>Options>Other>Advanced Options>COM Add-ins (if present)
- Remove the check from the add-in listing and close the dialogs.

More info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290498/
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011127891033.aspx

No Events found!