Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2008 22:00

Spyware Doctor - Renewal issues..

I have been using PC Tools Spyware Dr for the past 2 years now on 2 of my computers and the current subscription expires within 2 weeks.   PC Tools charges $29.95 to renew the program / license for another year... I can buy a new in box Spyware Doctor program for use on up to 3 machines with licenses on the popular auction site for less than $10.  I have been told that once Spyware Doctor has been installed and activated on a computer, even though the program is removed, parts of it remain behind and prohibit reinstalling the same program with a new license code and subscription.   In other words, renew at their price or don't use it at all..  Can anyone comment on this or have I been misinformed.. Is there a better alternative?    

20.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2008 22:00

I think you'll get a "two thumbs up" from the regulars here to spend the money on MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. There is a free version if you want to try it. The only difference in the free and paid versions is that the paid version includes automatic updating and realtime scanning. The free version requires manual updating and on-demand scanning.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

I have no connection with the company, but I do use it on almost every malware problem that is posted on the HijackThis Board, and I can verify that it works!

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2008 00:00

I agree with Bugbatter, as far as the free version of MBAM goes.

I cannot answer your specific questions on renewing Spyware Doctor, but I have to ask a more basic question:
Is Spyware Doctor a trustworthy program that you want on your PC? In my experience, the answer is "no".

My experience with Spyware Doctor 5 last year was less than stellar, to say the least:
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/18678601/18801721.aspx#18801721

So tonight I downloaded the trial version of Spyware Doctor 6, on a PC I know to be clean, and ran a full scan:

It found 9 "threats" and 152 "infections" that none of my other defenses find. Most were rated as "High risk". To remove them, I would have to purchase the program. Most were registry or Host file entries. The only 2 files it detected, I confirmed were false positives at virusscan.jotti and virustotal.com.

Any reputable anti-spyware program I have trialed has included the ability to clean detections- but not Spyware Doctor.

In short, Spyware Doctor found absolutely nothing of significance on my trouble-free PC, but a truckload of insignificant entries as a goad to purchase. To my thinking, this fits the definition of a rogue program that I could never recommend.

The fact that it also bundles and installs the Google Toolbar by default (which has nothing whatsoever to do with security) is also evidence of the vendor's (PC Tools) untrustworthiness.

-----------------------------------------------------------

IMHO, there is no paid anti-spyware program worth purchasing, and that the combination of a good AV program, Windows Defender for real-time protection, plus a couple of free on-demand scanners (MBAM, SAS, a-squared Free) provides adequate protection against malware.

--------------------------------------------

Free security software: A primer

Message Edited by joe53 on 08-02-2008 09:29 PM

20.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2008 00:00

Wow. Thank you for replying and testing that, Joe.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2008 12:00

Joe...I clicked on the link above your signature and read your excellent article. This "primer" contains much useful information that can be of great use to the average or novice user and in my opinion should be included in the stickies section of the forum. I am sure the moderator would have to agree and I would like to see this done! :smileywink:

Message Edited by dalem29 on 08-03-2008 07:23 AM

308 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 17:00

I have taken the above to heart and am going to try the programs listed.  One machine is done but the othert is giving me problems.. I download Windows Defender, install it, and the program completes the initial quick scan.   After that is completed, I went to the system tray AND control panel and there is no trace of Windows Defender Icon in either of these places.. It does show up under programs.. but no where else... On my other computer where I downloaded it today, there is a small Defender Icon in the system Tray and WINDOWS DEFENDER is on the control panel.   Both machines are running XP (SP3).  any ideas whay I am having trouble finding the Windows defender Icon to make settings on 1 computer but not the other?  I have downloaded and removed it twice with the same results.

308 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 17:00

Disregard what I said in the previous post... One computer is using Vista and one is XP.. I checked with another XP user and the program installs differently on XP machines.  Apparently the only place it shows up and is accessable is on the programs listing in XP...whereas it appears both in the system tray and Control panel on Vista systems...

336 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 20:00

I'm using Xp and it is in my system tray.

Open Defender, click Tools options and under Real time protection options There's the heading choose when the Windows Defender icon appears in the notification area choose only if windows defender detects an action to take or always

No Events found!