Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2009 16:00

SuperAntiSpyware slow down

I am curious as to whether anyone else has noticed a significant slow down in SAS.  I have the latest version - it seems like it takes forever to load and update.  I did check their forum and there is some mention of slowness, but no real answers to cause or repair.  Would it be best to uninstall and reinstall?  The program works as it should - it just takes much longer than it used to before this newest version.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 20th, 2009 17:00

Have you compared its performance with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?  You may prefer MBAM instead.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2009 17:00

No problems here, Maryam, running SAS Pro version 4.27.1002. I did have a little UI problem with the previous version, 4.27.1000, now fixed.

Your suggestion to reinstall would be what I would also do next, only takes a few minutes.

Good luck :emotion-5:

85 Posts

August 20th, 2009 18:00

Thanks, BB and Red Dawn, I'm thinking a reinstall is the way to go too.  Bugbatter, I already have MBAM (thanks to the recommendations here).  I use that more often than SAS, but I like checking with both.

Well, I'm off to uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks again

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 20th, 2009 19:00

I have long found SAS slow to load.   I opt to keep the Flash Screen, since I've concluded that nothing can be activated/executed with the program until after that screen finally appears.

As for changes, I believe the recent version has increased the lag-time in looking-for and getting the second portion ("trace" component) of the database update. 

148 Posts

August 24th, 2009 07:00

I have the same problem with SAS (both loading & scan time).  I find it difficult to run anything else while it is loading,  I'm running the free version and problem started about a week ago.  Did you have any success by deleting and re-installing?

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 24th, 2009 08:00

I have noticed that it takes several minutes to update and blamed that on my dialup connection. I also notice that when shutting down or restarting that End Now box comes up for a brief time before the program finally shuts down...which it normally does before I need to press the End Now button. The scan take awhile, and it reaches a point in the registry section where the number of items doesn't change but it shows a bunch of files flying by up above.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 24th, 2009 08:00

Dale wrote:   "The scan... reaches a point in the registry section where the number of items doesn't change but it shows a bunch of files flying by up above".

I've noted this happens primarily if you're using SpyBot's Immunization (Domains, Secure Domains); or [to a lesser extent] SpywareBlaster (IE Restricted Sites).

85 Posts

August 24th, 2009 10:00

There really wasn't a significant difference with a reinstall.  It's still slower than it used to be.  As ky said - the update is slow in the second half - at least 2 minutes for the full update and install.  I wish I could have reported better results - it's really disappointing.  I do close out SAS before shutting down.  I was experiencing the same problem with shut down and the error message.  It appears that the are working on a fix for the update problem.  I've been checking their forums regularly to see if they are responding the reports of slow down and update problems.  Here's hoping...

5.8K Posts

August 24th, 2009 20:00

I'm getting a high "grief" factor in loading SAS, updating SAS, and running SAS.

This does not bode well.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 25th, 2009 06:00

Hmmm,,,care to define "grief" Joe?

I haven't done an SAS download on the XP machine since late June and have version 4.26.1006. The lastest version is 4.27.1002 and that is apparently the one causing the troubles, so I am going to steer clear of it for time being. On a more postive note, the AntiVir updating problems seemed to have ceased, and A Squared Free is running and updating smoothly.

On the other hand.... :emotion-45:   MBAM still refuses to update on this computer, but works just fine on the Vista XPS. I really appreciate these free products, but because of these occasional glitches, I am glad to not have the paid versions.

5.8K Posts

August 25th, 2009 12:00

Hmmm,,,care to define "grief" Joe?

grief (grēf)
n.

3. Annoyance or frustration
4. Trouble or difficulty

Yep, that describes SAS, version 4.27.0.1002

Slow to open, slow to download updates, slower than catsup. The Quick Scan has always been slow (more than 30 minutes, compared to MBAM's ~3 minutes). And I've had screen freezes with SAS.

"Grief" is, indeed, le mot juste.

5 Posts

April 7th, 2022 11:00

I tried a complete deletion but still is slow on removing viruses. 

5 Posts

Mine has started to slow down a lot when removing.  I had 100 hits and instead of taking the usual five seconds to delete them it now take :45 minutes.  Very strange.

5 Posts

No success here.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

April 7th, 2022 15:00

Try closing your browsers before you allow SAS to delete any cookies.   

With the browser(s) open, it can severely impact the removal timewise.

No Events found!